xs alternator windings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs alternator windings

Well, since I am miles from home here at college and have no manual or alternator winding, i was wondering if anyone knew how many times the DC field (exciter) coil is wound. Also, If anyone knew how many poles the stator winding had and how many times each pole is wound. I doubt anyone knows this because you have to completely unwind these coils. Also, when the engine is idling, what is the voltage on the wire that goes from the voltage regulator to the field coil. The other wire on the field coil should be the battery voltage. Also, what are the AC phase voltages on the 3 white alternator outputs? In case you are wondering why I want to know:
    I am studying electrical engineering and I was just going to do some experiments rewinding coils. I just want to calculate the flux from the exciter coil and perspective voltages on the 3phase AC to find efficiency. Maby one of these days I will be able to figure out a magic replacement that will give these weak alternators a high output. One of these days I am going to build a new wiring harness with the ability to carry a high amperage alternator.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Did you say a Flux Capacitor, and HOW many jigawatts?

Comment

She's givin' you all her all she's got Captain!

Originally posted by John
      Did you say a Flux Capacitor, and HOW many jigawatts?
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Quiet, you guys! I think the kid may be on to something. (not on something)
        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

See if this helps

Gone but never Forgotten:
          1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
          2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
          2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Hey Hobbyman,

You might want to do some searches on here, because I think I remember reading about someone....possibly GEEZER, who had looked into rewinding the coils, but ran into a room problem, or was wanting to use thicker wire, etc.!?

But I wish you luck otherwise!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hobbyman,

I can answer (sort of) one of your questions. The AC output of each phase of the stator should be near 50VAC at 5000 RPM. Have no clue what it is at idle, but I'd guess it's close to nothing!

Comment

Those diagrams are helping quite a bit. They confirmed my suspicions on how this alternator works. What I can see right now is that when the system voltage with all of the loads comes above the proper level, the regulator increases the voltage on the green wire going to the field coil. (12v-VOLTAGEgreenwire)= voltage drop on field coil. This gives less magnetic flux to the stator, which in turn causes the voltage on the stator coils to decrease. When the system voltage is too low, it decreases the voltage on the green wire to allow more current to flow through the field coil. This will give more flux and increasing voltages on the stator. I am not sure how different Geezer's reg/rect unit is but I suspect it uses a standard 3 phase bridge rectifier with 6 diodes. I don't quite understand what the extra 2 diodes are for on the stock reg/rect. The problem is that with an XS alternator, the rotor can only "be so magnetic" (magnetic saturation) The purpose of putting a core inside of the coil is that the better ferromagnetic core properties help pass the flux to the stator. AS I understand it, you can only apply so much flux to your core because once the magnetic domains are aligned, your core isn't helping any more. (saturation) I am not going to assume that adding more field coils won't help at this point.

-if your not interested by now- skip the rest
                Sitting here thinking about it, I think I devised a test to prove this theory without rewinding anything. Next time I get home, I am going to run the alternator manually by disconnecting it from the engine and applying various voltages across the field coil and measuring AC voltage output. If the stator voltage increases steadily as I vary the field coil voltage from 0 to around 20v, it would be worth it to add some more coils to the field coil. If the stator voltage goes up and stops going up when the field coil hits around 12v, then the rotor is essentially "maxed out" and increasing coils on the field wont help.

Now lets assume that I am going to add field coils, will the stator coils be able to handle the extra amps without destroying the insulation? Second, would the wiring harness be able to handle the extra ampacity? I have a solution that would protect the wiring harness with a secondary rectifier in parallel running alternate loads.

All of these questions will be answered when I get home in a few weeks I hope.

Maby, at this point, it would be easier to put the XJ alternator on the XS. It should provide the ability to handle greater amperes because the field coil rotates, essentially passing more magnetic flux to the stator..

Without knowing the specific turns on the stator & field coil and output voltages, I can't calculate the efficiencies and flux losses.
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

I think Poprock is half right. I would be very interested in a mod that increased our bikes ability to run accessories. However, the kid is in college so I a inclined to think he is also in a drug and alcohol stooper The older I get the more I have to belive that Mr Hand (Fast Times at Ridgemont High) was right.

Dave

P.S. Just kidding Hobbyman
                  Dave
                  1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Hobbyman,
                    I know for a fact that the '79 will put out over 17.5v! DAMHIK . I think you could increase the output about 15%, but I would try and increase the wire size all the way around. I was boiling batteries for over a year before I found the problem INSIDE my wire harness. I would use Geezers reg/rec, as I think the stock unit will fry.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The problem is that it will put out that kind of voltage wilth little load at high rpms. When you are running lots of lights, a stereo, heated grips, etc.. the voltage drops considerably. You don't realy want the ability to produce high voltage, you want more ampacity.
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

That WAS running at 3500, with all the lights on! I had a short inside the wire harness, and it pumped the voltage WAY up! I was filling the battery every week!
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It the green wire is shorted to ground, starting at 2000rpm, the voltage will climb above normal limits. That sounds like what happened. That is a potentially dangerous situation
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Been working on it....

I have a friend that owns a business rebuilding alternators, generators and starters for big rigs. I took a alternator to him to look at and we discussed the possibility of increasing the field to get more amperage out of the alternator. He also refered to most control systems that vary the input to the field as a method of regulating the output and it is agreed that more windings on the field would probably increase the output amperage, but not by much as any more would overheat the alternator windings causing failure. It is easy to see that the only way to increase the amps beyond 25 (currently 22) is very difficult as it would necesitate the design of a new frame and laminates to accomodate larger wire and more turns. I am in the process of removing windings and counting turns to see if I can increase it by about 5 - 10%
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

So basically once we know how many coils there are, the number of turns on each coil, and the gauge of each wire we may figure out whether or not it can be rewound with thicker wire. If we could add more DC field coils and put a heavier gauge wire on the stator.
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X