Front forks and triple trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front forks and triple trees?

Has any one tried to upgrade to a newer front end, for example, like one off of an R1? I was curious if anyone has tried......I am considering it to getsome better performance in braking and suspension.
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Hi geniusloerts,

There are a few of us out here with modern parts on our XSs; try THIS! (click!) for an old write-up; there are several others.

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

I am in the process of fitting a R1 front fork assembly to an XS frame. Not trivial.

It boils down to modifying the steering head to take R1 trees or fabricating custom trees to take the R1 forks. Then there is the front tire issue (bias ply/radial).

There may be other fork systems that would be easier to adapt.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

I have fitted the front end from an XJR1300SP onto my XS1100. The advantage over an R1 front end is that the forks are the right way up and they don't need extending.

To get them in, involved shortening the stem about 25mm. Full details can be found somewhere on the UK site.

I know you US guys alway cry that that particular model wasn't sold in the US but hey, ebay is univarsal. God knows I've bought enough stuff from the US and shipped it over

Brgds,

Shappers.

EDIT: I managed to dig up another picture which shows the gains over the original spindly fork legs...

Last edited by Shappers; 02-07-2008, 02:18 AM.
        '84 Sport

Comment

What happened in this thread? There was something about a special bearing that allowed for easy install of GSXR frontends...?
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

diddo

if your donor bike has a 30mm stem then you need a custom upper bearing....
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Hi Guys,

For some of the GSXR front-ends, no custom bearing is needed;they use the same bearing set as the XS!.....although the Suzi stem MIGHT be longer, on some years......

Get a look at a catalogue for head-bearings (any bike shop should have one; or search on-line) and see what uses the same bearing set...... XS is the same as a lot of others.

You would then need to look at stem lengths and style of lock-stop. ANYTHING will fit, If you have the facilities to do the machining, but there will be a few "easy" swaps.......GO HUNT!

Two main problems with modern forks are;

THE LENGTH; modern bikes are NOT as tall s the XS!

WHEEL SIZES; most modern bikes will have a 17" wheel which is WIDER than the XSs rear........not good.....

AlanB
              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

custom bearing

you won't need a custom bearing if the donor bike stem is 25mm (older bikes). Most newer rockets have a beefier 30mm bearing Not sure about R1, But Gixxers, Hayabusa, and Some Kaws. If anyone needs a custom 47x30 bearing I can make one by turning down a common 48x30 bearing O.D. to 47mm, very difficult because of the race's extreme hardness,but can be done.....
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Working...
                X