Swing arm bolt torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing arm bolt torque

Anyone know what the swingarm bolt torque should be???
    Book reckons 47ft/pounds but the bolt just keeps going in. I'm sure it would bend the frame out if I kept going. Anyway I did it till the clearances where right and left it at that. Took a guess at it
    hope for the best

bolt?????????? its the nuts that are torqued,yamaha quote 72.3 ft-lb (10 m-kg) the gaps between swingarm and frame should be the same both sides (within 1.6mm) 1/16" there is no torque setting for the pivot shafts just set for no free play and no tight spots.hope this helps
    mick
    xs1.1s(x2)
    gsxr1100(1127)
    gsx1100g(x2)
    trophy900
    bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Swing Arm Torque

I have that but the Clymers book say's the bolt should be 47 pounds and as you say the lock nut 72 pounds but I can't see the 47 pounds being possible at the bolt, it would put too much stress on the bearings or gulp the frame

Ta

Comment

swing arm pivots

Sorry took so long to get back... in the Clymers book it says that the bolt (assume that is the pivot bolt) should be 47 f/p and the locknut should be 72 f/p but try to get 47 on the pivot? It's a worry, just seems to keep going like it will crack something
        Page 222 Clymers, if this is wrong what else

Comment

Re: swing arm pivots

Originally posted by auxtian
          Sorry took so long to get back... in the Clymers book it says that the bolt (assume that is the pivot bolt) should be 47 f/p and the locknut should be 72 f/p but try to get 47 on the pivot? It's a worry, just seems to keep going like it will crack something
          Page 222 Clymers, if this is wrong what else

The Clymers book, while being better then no book, has some mistakes in it and this is one. Factory manual states that the pivot bolt should be tightened to 43-52 INCH pounds, not foot pounds. The 72f/p for the lock nut is correct.
          Last edited by xssiveone; 02-22-2003, 11:13 PM.
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

Great thanks very much. Looks like I may have to find the original manual, I think mine went with the '78 XS when I sold it
            Just goes to show even if you think you will never do it again DON'T get rid of manuals or tools.

Comment

Looks like I may have to find the original manual
              List memeber Rob Mills rockjok@imt.net has a very nice CD that he has compiled with the factory XS and XJ manuals as well as a host of other useful items on it. He wants next to nothing for it compared to the information available. Check Ebay and Yahoo for the paper version, but if you can't find it, Rob's CD is highly recommended.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

Thanks have emailed him this second

Comment

Working...
                X