Back Wheel resistance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Wheel resistance.

I have a '79 XS1000 Special. I put it on the center stand today, put it in neutral and the wheel is having a lot of resistance. Where do I start? How do I check to determine if it is the brake? Could it be something else other than the brake? What would I do to resolve it?

Thanks,

Grant in Sacramento

After running it for a few seconds/1minute and feeling the rear rotor, if it is not hot as hades, then it is not your brake dragging. If you let these machines set for along time, then sludge builds up in the brake cly and the first time you depress the brake cly, then the sludge locks up the pucks. I have that problem with my front rotors and have to clean out the beast.

check the site for brake maintenance, lots have been written on the subject.

Comment

Pry open that little plastic inspection cover on the rear brake caliper. Stick a wide screwdriver in there and pry apart the brake pads. (pry on the metal sections, not the friction part)
      Wheel should turn a lot easier.
      If so, then yes, you need to tear apart the brake system and do a good cleaning. Only in extreme cases have I ever found that replacing parts was needed. Just clean out the gunk and solidified brake fluid and you should be OK.
      Often, just using a10mm(or is it an 8 mm) wrench to open the bleed screw releases pressure enough to free the wheel, unless it's the caliper frozen in place.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

If you find that the rear brake is dragging one mistake not to do is to use grease on the slider pins. These are sealed and use a vegetable base lube. I find that cartridge case resizing lube (can be found at any gun store) is the best replacement for the original lube.

If these are lubed with grease they will seize up in short order.

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
        X