rear brake xj.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake xj.

anybody got any ideas about what i can do for a rear brake resivoir? i am going to use an xs mc for the front and i think the rear one is shot anyway so i can switch it out to a single but i am not sure what to choose to switch it out with??? hmm
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

If you are setting the brakes up in a conventional manner, as in having both front calipers attached to the front M/C, then any xs11 rear M/C will bolt right up, and I think you can get one from an xs750-850 also.

Comment

Re: rear brake xj.

Originally posted by yamahansolo
      anybody got any ideas about what i can do for a rear brake resivoir? i am going to use an xs mc for the front and i think the rear one is shot anyway so i can switch it out to a single but i am not sure what to choose to switch it out with??? hmm
      Do you just need the reservoir? I may have a spare. I know I have one for an XS. It looks the same as my XJ, not sure if it's an exact fit or not.
      Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

The XJ back brake runs the back and front left brake if hooked up properly. My plans are to run both front ones with one M/C, so I disconnected the line that goes to the front and plugged M/C with a teflon tape wrapped bolt.

There is a proportion valve in these master cylinders that adjusts the amount of pressure going to the rear and front depending on how hard you step on the brake pedal.... more going to the front under heavy braking. I didn't want a 26 year old valve deciding how much front brake pressure to apply when I really wanted back brake at the time?

Short story long... this setup I have isn't ideal. I don't have great back brakes, and the valve is still attempting to operate under heavy braking, so stepping harder on the brake doesn't have any appreciable effect. I couldn't lock up the rear tire if I tried on dry pavement. So.... this is new knowledge for me also to learn an XS M/C will bolt right up. I will probably go that route.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Working fine

Sounds like that 27 yr old valve is working just fine. Why is it you think it won't work if it's hooked up?
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I'm pretty sure that it would work as designed... I just don't care for how it's designed! lol. I have many many more years on dirt bikes than I have on street bikes. Each brake effects the handling in a different way. When I want the front brake, I'll use it. When I want the back, I'll use that... not have some valve deciding for me. Just a personal conviction that I can apply both brakes in the oppropriate manner needed like on most bikes. Control freak? Maybe... but that's the name of the game on a bike.

Just one person's opinion... and you know what they say about opinions.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

When I got rid of the unified braking on my XJ, I took out the insides of the proportioning valve and plugged the outlet going to the front caliper. I now have a great but not overly sensitive rear brake.

Louis
              "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
              brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
              '82 XJ1100J
              LED Dir and running lights
              LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
              Modulated H/L
              PIAA Driving lights
              YICS Eliminated
              750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

my valve is shot and now it looks like the calipers are froze hard! i have a really big vice at work and i couldn't even get it loose with that!
                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                X