Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick-up coil wires

Hi folks,
    I just did the pick-up coil repair as per Ken Talbot's instructions in the repair section. I had 3 of the 4 wires broken.
    As my soldering skills are somewhat questionable, I would like to check the current drop in these wires with the ohmmeter, before I re-install them.
    I have found the measurments used for checking the COILS, but not the PICK-UP coil wires.
    Does anyone out there know what kind of reading I should expect?

TIA,
    Mike
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Use an ohmmeter to check junctions (soldered or otherwise); should read zero ohms across your junctions. Likely they are good. Big problem will be covering the junctions, as the engine heat will cause tape to unravel, and shrink tubing tends to limit the flexibility of the wires, causing a new break elsewhere. If the wires can be replaced entirely, with no junctions, this would be preferrable. Replacement leads for multimeters can be used as replacement wire. Buy some cheap ones, cut off the ends and use the nice, flexible wire to make to pickup wires.
    Norm Willey
    94 BMW K75RT
    nwilley@shaw.ca

Comment

Thanks Norm,
      That was my original intent, I just was not certain as to how best to re-wrap the new wires so that they were properly protected as the run back the 30 inches or so.
      If there is a good looking, yet practical wire covering, I would rather cut off the splice that I just did and replace them entirely.
      Simply wrapping the bundle with tape doesn't seem to be the answer.
      What do you reccommend?

Thanks,
      Mike
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Working...
      X