left hand control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left hand control

Has anyone used Mikes xs left hand control on the 79 1100F?
    Part #24-2058
    Will it plug and play or will the internal parts work if resoldered to original wires? I wouldn't mine spending the $ if the internals will work. My High/low tab broke off and the 3 wire board for the turn signals broke also. All ideas wanted. Red
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

AKMAC has used the Chrome ones!

AKMAC said:
    Yes I did use the MikesXS switches. After having them on for several months now I can say that they are a quality replacement part and haven't had any issues. The only problem is that they are not a direct replacement because of the connectors.

What I ended up doing was cutting off all the connectors and replacing them with some pink "bullet" style connectors for each individual wire. I did this because I knew I might have issues finding what color should go where.

The right side was simple. Red goes to red, black to black and so on.

The left was a little more troublesome. Fore some reason there was an extra wire that the original switch didn't have. As I recall, I wired all the colors to there corresponding color. This left me with two extra wires coming off the switch housing. All I did was put some electrical tape around them and left them unplugged. Everything works just fine without them, but with one of them connected I would blow the headlight fuse within seconds of starting the bike. I think one wire was black, and the other was yellow/black. I think the yellow/black wire would blow the fuse.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ive used both sides on my "e" work great, look great, plugs were different butt wires were the same colors.......almost plug and play and they are identical to the orig controls
      when in doubt...get a bigger hammer
      '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
      '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
      '78 Cadillac Seville
      Don't steal the government hates competition

Comment

Originally posted by ScottsXS
        ive used both sides on my "e" work great, look great, plugs were different butt wires were the same colors.......almost plug and play and they are identical to the orig controls
        i had the same question last week and one last week. if it doesn't fit, i can use it on one of my 3 xs650 units, but all indications look like it'll be on the 11.
        1978 XS1100E , 1979 Special, 1980 XS11 Standard, 1978 & 79 XS750.

2nd Gear is Waaayyyy Overrated !!

Comment

The internal components should be the same. I bough a left switch assembly from mikes xs and used the internal parts. My Hi/low beam switch was broken and the lables were worn off. As mentioned before, the wires will not plug directly in. The length of the wires was also an issue. I would like to confirm that for you but I am several thousand miles from my garage for the time being. I have both the original and an assembly from mikes xs sitting right next to each other. From my memory, which is failing me right now, the internals will swap.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hobbyman, Your to young to have a failing memory! You just have a FULL memory from what you are doing now!
            Hope to meet you and your dad at the June meet!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Don't swap the internals. Just splice the new wires to the old plugs. I used them on my '79 SF and had one wire left over that you do nothing with. Easy as pie.
              1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
              dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
              MikesXs 35k Coils
              8mm plug wires
              42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
              (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
              Kerker 4-into-1
              Shaved emblems
              Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
              Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
              Harley Dyna rear fender chopped