Clutch plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch plates

I have several bikes now that I need to put new plates on. I have done some searching and I was wondering what the best clutch plates are. I could go OEM, Barnett, or another brand. What's everyone's opinion? I want good plates but I don't want to put a huge void in my pocket after replacing the plates on 3 bikes. I have been putting this off for a while. They have some life in them but they are slipping more and more. They are all original plates too. I have considered the extra steel plate and new springs but right now I need to start fresh with new plates. Thanks Yall.
    -Hobby
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

You need to take them out and measure the thickness. If they are within spec, you'll be wasting money buying new ones. A new set of springs and/or the extra steel plate and all will be good I bet. I'd put money on just the extra steel fixing the problem, and I'll even send them to you if you need them.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I would try new springs as the very first thing since they will relax after a couple of years under compression. They are usually less than $20.00 for a set and are easily changed. But if you are going to put in new plates, I have used EBC heavy duty plates and like them. They have a good feel and lock up tight too. Oh, if you do put in new plates, spring for new springs too.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I was having XScessive slippage at 63k on the clock. I bought new springs and OEM Yamaha plates. EVERY plate was well within specs but I replaced them anyway (member here took the old plates and is still running on them). The springs however were trashed. I would try new springs first and see if the slippage goes away. They are alot easier to install and easier on the wallet. I used OEM spings also. I would tell ya just to lay off the throttle more, but that would be like telling Prom to be nice.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

"That's what I get for being a moderator..."

Not only am I forced to read every thread.... (even threads started by HobbyMan), but I'm constantly under attack by "the slings and arrows of outrageous" unfortunates.
          Be that as it may...
          I've had trouble with Barnett clutches before. Several instances of the friction material peeling offa the plates. Sure, if you send back the plates they will replace them... but replacing bad Barnett plates with still more Barnett plates is not "a consummation devoutly to be wished".

As for you, (ig)noble Webbcraft... "you bottled spider"... your venom can't reach me. You have 34 more posts to write before attaining GURU status, at which time, I shall unleash such a torrent of Shakespearean insult that you shall surely become the "Idol of idiot-worshippers."
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I put in just new springs, and ran for an extra 35K miles before replacing everything. When I put in the new plates, I just used the NON BARNETT brand, and they have worked well for the last 20K miles. New springs WILL cure the problem IF you have less than 50K on the clutch. I DID buy the "heavy duty" springs, but found the springs in my older engine were STILL better than the new ones! I don't know what brand they were, but they GRAB when I want them too.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

So it looks like right now I will be going for either OEM plates or EBC and definitally new springs. Has anyone ever put washers on the springs?
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

"A temporary fix..."

as you're then just further compressing already weakened coils.
                Spring length is designed so that under compression, like when you squeeze the clutch lever, the coils of the spring do not touch each other.
                If you 'preload' this, in this instance meaning starting with a spring where the coils have already been partially compressed by the 'spacer' washer, you remove some of their potential travel. Do this too much, and there might not be enough play for the clutch plates to seperate properly when the clutch lever is engaged.
                Shimming the springs, like using an extra steel plate, will give you a tighter grabbing clutch pack, but also result in a clutch lever that is harder to pull back.
                Replace the springs with new and be done with it.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by prometheus578
                  Not only am I forced to read every thread.... (even threads started by HobbyMan), but I'm constantly under attack by "the slings and arrows of outrageous" unfortunates.
                  Be that as it may...
                  I've had trouble with Barnett clutches before. Several instances of the friction material peeling offa the plates. Sure, if you send back the plates they will replace them... but replacing bad Barnett plates with still more Barnett plates is not "a consummation devoutly to be wished".

As for you, (ig)noble Webbcraft... "you bottled spider"... your venom can't reach me. You have 34 more posts to write before attaining GURU status, at which time, I shall unleash such a torrent of Shakespearean insult that you shall surely become the "Idol of idiot-worshippers."
                  Woe to those who would even think of starting with Prom...you have a death wish?LOL Eloquently said Prom....
                  Last edited by madmax-im; 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

In my experience Barnett clutches don't slip but they don't release either. You couldn't give me one now.

I might try a set of their springs again but as I recall you'll build up a left forearm like Popeye from pulling in the clutch lever...

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hey Hobbyman,

I had replaced my clutches eons ago before my trans died, and had inadvertantly broken the star plate, was able to get one as they were still available back then, then rode it several more years, then sat for 9 years, then rebuilt, and I put in new generic Vesrah/ebc plates and HD springs. Rode it another 6 years, but low mileage, probably less than 10K total. I started experiencing slippage, pulled the clutch down, and this time measured the frictions, well within spec, but the springs were sprung!

But, I decided to put in new springs AND the extra steel, which is similar to washers under the springs, puts them under another mm of compression, like PROM alluded to! But the extra compression/spring loading really has it grabbing quite well.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Back when I had a whole bike shop at my disposal, I often used valve springs from some smaller bike to beef up a clutch.

I don't have that kind of selection at hand anymore and I used to spend way too much time matching things up for projects like that...

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                        X