Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring

hello all,
    this is chaseymays husband, and i been kinda splicing and checking my wiring on my 80 xs1100 lg midnight specail, and i was wondering what is the differance in all the 1980 xs 1100 models? i have found a wiring harness but not sure if it is a lg.. someone lead me in the right direction here, id hate to buy it and it not even be it

ThankS
    Jeremy
    1980 XS100 MNS-work in progress-husband's
    1985 700 Honda Shadow-soon to be mine
    2003 300 Kawasaki Bayou-husband's
    1994 Polaris 400L-mine
    2001 KTM 520-husband's

The 80 special and the 80 Mighnight Special would be the same but from what I can see on my wiring diagram the 80 G wiring harness is different. Hope that helps.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Thanks for the help, but i wonder whats the differance of of the g and lg i did some lookin around and this is what i found

1980 xs 1100G
      coils 2h7-82310-60-00 , 2h7-82320-60-00
      harness 3h5-82590-50-00
      ignition unit 2h7-82305-10-00

1980 xs 1100LG
      coils 2h7-82310-60-00 , 2h7-82320-60-00
      harness 3j6-82590-50-00
      ignition unit 2h7-82305-10-00

now since the coils and ignition unit are the same numbers what would be the differance the lighting? maybe able to rewire the ligthting? just a thought, i couldnt see the SG model online to check but i was just wondering whats the differance?
      thanks
      Jeremy
      1980 XS100 MNS-work in progress-husband's
      1985 700 Honda Shadow-soon to be mine
      2003 300 Kawasaki Bayou-husband's
      1994 Polaris 400L-mine
      2001 KTM 520-husband's

Comment

The diagram in my Clymer manual shows th 80g having turn signal and parking lights and wiring for just one horn ,where as the 80 sg has wiring for turn signals and not parking lights. The 80 sg also has wiring for two horns and a dedicated license plate light.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Hey Jeremy,

Yes, the ignition wiring will be the same, but it's the other things, mostly the lighting that you'll find different. The "G" used front running lights in the turn signals, the Specials SG/LG did not.

The "G" would have an actual fuel gauge, where the SG/LG uses just a warning light. Both G/SG/LG's have the newer Emergency lights circuit that is separate from the turn signal circuit.

That's about all I can see in the wiring diagrams, so a harness from a "G" should work with your LG!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

One factor to watch out for is I have seen a lot of variance in SGs. I have owned three and all three were different. One was a copy of a SF (except no kick starter), another was a carbon copy of a SH, and the third had a little of both. The last SG I had came with emergency flashers.

Again, the only wiring differences I would expect be in lighting.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
            X