No announcement yet.

gas tank dent repair ideas......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's more from the archives. See Daniel's method for an interesting variation on the hot glue idea.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hi Guys,

If it is on the right side of the tank, can you not get access to the back of the dent through the hole in the tunnel for the fuel gauge (or light.....)

AlanB
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

what about the petcock hole?
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

ok fellow xs11'ers....here we go with the holla backs.....
          planedick...really like the idea and it is floating 2 the top of the list of things 2 try....very simple, non-destructive, and if ya mess up...oh well....

hobbyman....have looked at making the pdr tools and even wussying out and buying them, but why????....too time consuming, too expensive,....not trying to cheap out, but a man and his checkbook have their limitations....

motoman...thanx 4 the color matching....will look into it....have a paint store right down the street from work....but really not happy as most people think the bike is black and not blue.....like i said, looking a duplicolor paint that is a bit more noticably blue....

ccogswel....thanx 4 the tip....will be checking the tank with a carefully 2nite, but looking it over earlier, i see no other repairs....might have 2 give it the magnet test...but thanx again 4 the advice....

corey.....see what u started.....they all think u and me r gonna detonate our gas tanks and cause major news stories....i can see it now...."man blows up neighborhood with empty gas tank and air compressor.....catch the details on the 11 pm news"......thanx buddy....

ken talbot...once again i bow to your all knowing xs11 power and thank you for the information....gives me some real hope for a complete recovery.....

alanb....sorry mate, but it is the other right side of the tank....as your sitting on it and looking down....sounds like u and i should sit down and your local pub sometime soon, over a pint of scotland's finest and figure this out.....

hobbyman....is a real limited access hole, but just might work as long as i am careful about not messing up the petcock area....good idea....might use it with the hot glue idea to make sure i get it removed as much as possible...

once again...thanx and respect to all the knowledge in the xs11 family.....ride hard, ride safe...ross
          rebel devil
          1979 xs 1100f standard
          authenic historical vehicle
          42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
          "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
          "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
          "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
          '96 venture cct.....installed!
          stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
          i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Hi Ross,

You got me thinking, so I have just been out (in the snow!) to pull the tank off my SG; the sender IS in "that" right side of the tank....... same side as the throttle, opposite to the clutch?

There are another couple of Special tanks and at least one Standard hanging on the shop wall; I didn't check 'em all, but my SG is in the right, as you sit on it, facing forward!

If you get as far as Scotland I will happily buy the beers.......

AlanB

Comment

(quoting the simpsons)
              (willy in a deep scotish accent)
              "greese mee up woman...i'm goin' in"

alanb....after reading your response...i suited up...woke up the dogs(maddog wasn't happy at all)....put on the muckaluck....pulled the sled out....harnessed all the dogs up.....mushed them 2 the back 40....walked into the garage...lit the kerosene lantern....tripped over the cat.....moved a couple hay bales aside....dug my old gas tank out of the horses watering trough and found that things r different on this side of the pond....both tanks i have, the fuel gage is on the left side of the tank....clutch handle side.....btw...this is a '79 xs1100f...standard.....sounds like we both need 2 sit down over a dozen pints or so each and figure out the meaning of life.....hehehehe......ross
              rebel devil
              1979 xs 1100f standard
              "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
              i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Hi Ross,

I should have looked on the wall, not at the bike!..... Standard is on the Left, Special on the Right......Sorry, LOL!

Sounds like you have more snow than us...... We had about 4" of hail and snow fell on Wednesday night. I saw SIX wrecked cars on the 10 mile run to take kids to school on Thursday morning; It takes 'em a day or two to get used to the conditions. LOL.

AlanB

Comment

alanb....well our wonderful weather people were wrong once again.....what was supposed 2 b the storm of the century turn in to 4 inches of snow and 6 inches of angel f*rts......but i must tip my hat to a scotsman that can ride more than one kid on a xs in 4" of hail and still laugh at the idiot drivers on the road.....anywho, ya had me worried.....my checkbook was eyeing up the 25 year old scotch bottle like a wino lookin' at the 2 for $2 special.....was wondering if bought a tank that was made in china...still think we should sit down for a pint and discuss meaning of life.....thanx 4 the reply...ross
                  rebel devil
                  1979 xs 1100f standard
                  "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Dent

No amount of heating and cooling is going to take out that dent, the metal is too stretched. Pull off that evil petcock, take a straight rod through the petcock hole, hammer it till you get most of it out, then bondo it. Sorry just saw the date on this.
                    Doug
                    81 LH

Comment

Working...
                    X