gas tank dent repair ideas......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank dent repair ideas......

hey there xs11'ers....finally found a non-rusty standard gas tank....problem is that there is a slight dent in the right side of the tank...by slight, i mean 2.5" high x 5" long x 1/4" deep.......is pretty much right above the petcock area....looks pretty minimal and something that could be pulled...i called the local dent removal dude and he said he wouldn't even touch it....so it looks like i'm gonna have 2 fix it myself...i'm very good with bondo, but would rather pull it out rather than cover it up.....i got no problems with a thin bondo cover, but it looks like it should just pop right out....i'm not worried about the paint as i plan on stripping and repainting it...now here's where the mystery starts....i'm not sure if this works or is just another part of internet lore, but i found this site and it looks just 2 good 2 b true....
    here's the site...
    http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-...ly-and-cheaply

from what they are showing me, i can repair the dent in a few minutes right on the kitchen table....(i know the ol' lady isn't gonna like that)....i have the option to use either method shown on the videos, but can get the air duster easier....also have good hookup on liquid co2....also if there are any others out there with ideas, let me know...if ya need fotos of the dent, i will try my best 2 get some up....thanx in advance 4 all the info in the past days....ross
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

I used a kit called "Pops a Dent" (as seen on TV).
    It removed a couple of dents on my tank. It will work as long as the dent has no creases.

link to pops a dent
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I've used both of the freezing methods with mixed results. The idea is that the dented area is actually slightly stretched and as you cool the metal it shrinks and contracts back to its original shape. This does seem to work with very shallow dents that do not have any sort of creasing. But there are easier ways to get dents like this out. Some times all it takes is a little pounding with your hand around the perimiter of the dent and it will pop out on its own. One of my favorite methods for shallow dents is to use a good strong suction cup or magnet to pull it out. If all else fails you can always tack on a metal rod and use a slide hammer, just make sure that the tank has been flushed well and you might want to fill it with either an inert gas or maybe even water when you weld on the rod so you don't go boom.
      1980 XS 1100 Standard
      1980 XS 1100 Special
      1982 XJ 1100
      1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

pat kelly..thanx 4 the reply back...was looking at that, but then i have 2 wait for shipping plus the cost.....i have both ideas in mind, but i'm looking for the best fix for the least $$$....my checkbook is over in the corner having a beer right now.......thanx 4 the link...will keep it in mind....btw, did it really work to where the dent was totally eliminated (no marks).....like i said i am not worried about the paint.....but the metal needs 2 be as good as can be.....thanx 4 the advice again...ross
        rebel devil
        1979 xs 1100f standard
        "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
        i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

d p larmee....thanx 4 the response...was looking 4 alternative ideas and you sound like u have done this b4.....i have a few weeks, but will be letting all know what method worked best.....there seems 2 b no creasing, and looks like i should b able to just "pop" it out....ross

p.s. would fotos help....not sure how they will turn out, but can try if needed
          rebel devil
          1979 xs 1100f standard
          "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Ross, this thread excites me. I've been thinking about doing some aesthetic work to my bike too.

I'm going to try the compressed air fix. I'll let you all know how it goes. My dent is shallow, so I would not be suprised if it does nothing. It is slightly creased though... *fingers crossed*

Also, I was wondering what paint you are planning on using Ross. I'm going to paint mine soon (say, when it gets warm) and was thinking about using Rustoleum out of the spray can due to a lack of skill/supplies. From what I understand, as long as the clear coat bonds to the paint and is gas impervious, anything is fine.
            Corey J. Bennett
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

corey...as far as any compressed air fix goes, be careful...100 psi can cause major damage to your motorcycle repair facility....i know, i have dealt with psi for over 20 years and you would b amazed at what 100 psi can do....would suggest a vacuum test on the tank after you try this to make sure $3 a gallon gas isn't spilling on the ground....as far as the paint (base color) goes, i'm thinking on using duplicolor paint as i can get it at the 'zone and if i need 2 touch it up, it only cost me a few $$$.....i found a color that is pretty close to the indigo blue of the '79 standard, but it tends to be more blue....trust me, the guys i work with thought i drove a black bike.....finally i am thinking of coating the tank in a urethane clear coat....not sure of the price, but will be worth the protection, especially on the tank......will show ya'll the finished product.....hope this helps....ross
              rebel devil
              1979 xs 1100f standard
              "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

corey...also, rustoleum takes 4ever 2 dry....hate that stuff...if ya have 2...use krylon....much faster dry time....just my 2 cents...ross
                rebel devil
                1979 xs 1100f standard
                "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Originally posted by corey
                  I'm going to try the compressed air fix. I'll let you all know how it goes. My dent is shallow, so I would not be suprised if it does nothing.
                  Whoa there, Ross, are you talking about sealing up the tank and pressurizing it to pop out a dent? That method has been used by some of our XSives, sometimes with unexpected results like the frame tunnel bulging out. Have a read here
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

ken, i bow to your almighty power and understand your knowledge.....i was just mentioning that corey should b careful about pressurizing the tank as compress air can really kick your a** even at 100 psi....would rather look at some sort of inflatable air bladder that if it blows, it is contained in the walls of the tank....trust me, i have tested welding cylinders for 15 years and can tell ya all about psi...thanx 4 the response though.....ross
                    rebel devil
                    1979 xs 1100f standard
                    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Easy fix

I have successfully removed dents from tanks by applying hot melt glue to the end of the handle of my ball peen hammer and pushing it into the center of the dent and holding it still while it cools. Once cool a solid and sudden jerk outward will pull the dent easily. Any left over hot melt glue will come off easy with the applidcation of heat from a hair dryer.
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Since it is right above the petcock area, have you pulled the petcock to push it out? The PDR (paint-less dent repair) guys just have long rods that have large round ends and message the dent out. I have done it before. You could make your own PDR tools relatively easily. Depending on how stretched the metal is, you could have it fixed in about an hour. If the metal is really stretched, it will take much longer. I had a dime size dent in the very top of my standard tank just aft of the fill hole and I was able to get it down to a few mills in diameter with PDR tools. Since my metal was stretched, it took a while to get my dent out. (better part of a day) I would strongly dis-advise the air pressure dent removal method. These tanks are not designed to hold much pressure and you may end up seriously damaging your tank.
                        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

dents/paint

Hey there Ross.............just a FYI for you. Spend the $16bucks and go to your local automotive paint store and have them mix you up a rattle can of single-stage acrylic enamel. It will be for Toyota,code210, and color is Carbon Blue-Black-Effect. It WILL be a perfect match and correct color to Yammy's Indigo Blue.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Ross

If I read correctly. I assume it still has the paint on it. You may want to check the rest of your tank very carefully. I bought a tank here while back and it had one little dent in it. But when I stripped it down I found a dent the size of Texas. You may have already checked but I thought I'd throw it in.

Good Luck!
                            Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                            87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                            93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                            71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                            69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

I think I might have started some confusion. I'm not going to blow air into the tank. Instead I'm going to turn a can of compressed air upside down like the YouTube video did. I should have been more clear. My bad.
                              Corey J. Bennett
                              '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
                              X