Speedo not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo not working

So, I just got my SF running. Took it for a spin and everything was working but the oil pressure sensor. I took that out and cleaned it up so it is working fine now.

While I had the sensor out I got new tires. I put the wheels back on and now my speedo isn't working right. It doesn't start to move until about 15 mph and won't go over 30. (I'm sure I went over 30 as a nieghbor felt the need to come over and tell me to slow down, whatever ). When I stop it takes it's time to wind down.

I read some of the threads that had a similar problem and I got everything from it will work itself out to take the speedo apart and lube it.

Is there something else I'm missing?
    1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
    1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
    1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Hey Tom,

You got new tires!! Was the speedo working right before the tire change?? Sounds like you might have gotten the tangs on the speedo drive not lined up right with the slots on the wheel when the front tire was reinstalled!? There are some photos in the How To Change Tire tech tip in the maintainance section that shows the drive tangs and slots.

Also, take the speedo cable off of the wheel drive housing, chuck it up in a drill....reversible IIRC, and give it a test spin to see how the speedo behaves. Also spin the inner drive cable by hand to make sure it spins fairly easily, and doesn't feel like it's binding!

Might be a matter of removing the cable completely, and just lubing it, but it might be the speedo as well!?
    T.C.

tire change tip link
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I don't remember if it was working before as I only rode it once, in the dark and rain and I didn't go very fast.

The first thing I checked was those tangs.

So I hooked up the drill like suggested, the odo and trip odo work like the should but the speed is slow to pick up and slow to come back down.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

After taking all apart it appears to be the speedo. From 50 mph down the needle drops very slow. If I push the needle up to 160 it drops fast to 50 then moves slow down to 0.

Anyone know where I can pick up a spare 160 speedo for a special?

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Tom,

If you do a search for Speedo slow or such, you'll find some posts about folks having squirted lubricants into the speedos. Also, since it's not been run for a while, the oil/grease may be just thickened and sticky, and after some more miles on it, folks have reported that theirs have loosened up!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

That's the problem, I read some of those post, and tried to take apart the speedo, broke the glass and kinda buggered up the black outer bezel. I know, rookie move.

So I really don't need a new speedo, I'm going to get a cheap one from ebay with good glass and figure out a less damaging way to remove them and reinstall on my speedo.

Also from what I have read it appears a 140 mph should work just fine too. If I find one of those I may just swap it out, since the reality is I will never need 140 much less 160.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Hey Tom,

Take your bezel and broken glass to a local glass shop, they should be able to cut you a nice little round piece for a few bucks, possibly cheaper and quicker than Ebay!?

But, yes, almost any speedo from an xs650/750/850 Yamaha with the same 19" front tire will work, be it 120, 140, or 160 mph!

Did you happen to see the tech tip on repairing the tach, will show you how to remove the bezel, etc.!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Yeah, I missed that one and pried the wrong side, hense the broken glass and damaged bezel. I am the first to admit that my head and my butt had a date there.

I found a $10 120 on ebay already so I get a nice bezel. Now seeing your tip I see how to properly remove it.

Oh well, live and learn.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Working...
                X