progressive fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progressive fork springs

As part of my winter bike refurbishing, I am contemplating installing Progressive fork springs. Any input from people who have done this would be most welcome.
    Robert
    79 SF

...be very cafeful when putting the fork caps back on in order to not crossthread

Also, if they are special forks, pieces of pvc (dont recall which kind at the moment, but am sure it lists in the tech note) work perfectly for spacers.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Installing progressive fork springs is worth the effort. I had mine done at Americade in 2001, soft for progressive to do it, plus new fork oil, was about $120.00. A photo is at:

http://facstaff.uww.edu/fieldsj/mcyc...e/amcade8.html

Couple notes.

Manual calls out for a certain volume for oil. Progressive people don't use this figure, fill to the level, also stated in the manual. Level is measured in MM below the top of the tube.

Depending on your weight, accessories (fairing or not) and personal preference, you may need to use PVC pipe as spacers to get the right suspension height. For a quick discussion of setting the height, see Sorting The XS-XJ suspension at:

http://facstaff.uww.edu/fieldsj/mcyc...uspension.html

As mentioned, getting the fork caps back on can be the worst part of the swap. A few techniques have been floated about. If you have access to the old Yahoo list, do a search on fork caps or springs and see what comes up.

Link is:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/xs11/

You have to be a member of Yahoo Groups to view the list, but registration is free and fairly painless.

I would change fork seals at the same time, as you will be changing fluid and springs, so might as well make a complete job out of it. Some discussion on fork seals also on the old list, some vendors are shipping the wrong size for certain XS models. Make sure you get the correct ones for your forks, they are not all the same size!

Upgrade is very well worth the time and effort. I put on one of Tkat's fork braces, Progressive front springs, Dunlop K491 Elite II tires, Stainless-steel brake lines, and improved the handling a lot. Now if I can just find those 13 inch Koni or Ohlin rear shocks to complete the upgrades......
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I have been very happy with the Progressive rear shocks. I also purchased their "soft" rear springs, but found them to be too soft.

I ended up running with the preload on max with just me (230lb) and no gear. I believe the stock springs are the best for my application.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Robert,
          I installed Progressive fork springs in my 81H tourer. All i can say is WOW. Big difference. My bike has air assist in the forks, which I used to constantly fight with to get right. Now I don't need the air. Handles great.
          I highly recommend them.

Ride Safe.
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

I did the Progressive thing about 5 years ago....I would recommend you do it...cheap, easy, wonderful results.
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

i think an upgraded linear rate spring with pre load is a better idea, unless you upgrade the damping as well,progressives cannot cope over uneven surfaces as well as a linear rate, because the xs dampers are inadequate ie crap.
              mick
              xs1.1s(x2)
              gsxr1100(1127)
              gsx1100g(x2)
              trophy900
              bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

XS Damping

A while back there was an article circulating that acknowledged the XS's inadequate damping. The article included a series of modification to the XS front and rear suspension assemblies to improve it.

At the time I was rebuilding the forks and replacing worn rear shocks. I followed the modification and recommendations. The only thing I did different was replace the stock rear springs, although the article suggested keeping them. I am in the process of going back to stock springs.

I have put over 40K one the suspension and have had no problems. I have no idea how much of an improvement, if any, the mods produced. I feel my XS1100F handles solid and predictable on smooth and bumpy corners.

I rode a "SG" for about a year before I switched to my "F". I experienced suspension oddities on the "SG" that I have never experienced on my "F". I attributed this to the mods I had done right off the bat on my "F".

Just recently I went looking for my copy of the article with no luck. If anybody has a copy of this article, I (and perhaps others) would appreciate recirculation of the article.

Thank,
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

Is this the article you had in mind, Denny?
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Yep, that be it. Thanks Ken,
                    DZ
                    Vyger, 'F'
                    "The Special", 'SF'
                    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                    X