No announcement yet.

carb cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

topcatgr58.....thanx for the advice....i really like the idea of using the shop vac to check the seals....i can adjust the vacuum pressure down so i don't wind up removing the carb body from inside the shop vac...no, really, i completely understand what you mean....i will also double check them when i get them back on....i think i'm safe, but just want to make sure as it is a real pain to remove these suckers.....thanx 4 your help once again....ross
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier Ross, I know it sucks waiting on a response.

Like the others said, 15 mins oughta be fine. Keep in mind, though, that I fried my seals with spray on carb cleaner; I didn't dip them. Instead of using 15 mins of soaking, I sprayed a LIBERAL amount of cleaner all over the place two or three different times between two hours and didn't blow em out til after the third time.

I went way over board. Your fifteen minutes didn't hurt anything, I'm sure. If this is the case, then I completely frightened you and your checkbook for no reason. For this I apologize!

Let us know how the vacuum check works. Interesting, it is.
      Corey J. Bennett
      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Also, if you do decide to take the shafts out and replace the seals, be sure to make drawing of how it all went together. There's only a few ways all those parts can go together, but its definitely less stressful getting it right the first time.
        Corey J. Bennett
        '79 XS1100SF

Comment

corey......thanx for the holla back....ya had me going there since your last post....like i said, i plan on still spraying them with carb cleaner b4 i put them back 2gether....will make sure to keep it away from those seals and let them drip dry for 5 min then blow them dry.....i'll let ya know how the vacuum thang works.....then again i just might take the chance and throw them back on and see how much fire comes out the tailpipes....just kidding about the flames...i think she should survive.....if not, i'll just send ya a copy of the medical bill....so far i have removed more gunk and sediment from the carbs then i have removed from some sink traps...like i said my gas tank was real bad and i plan on cleaning out the entire system before i put her back 2gether.....i'll let ya all know how she turns out.....hopefully i will roast the old tire right off the rim on the way to the dealership for a new tire....thanx once again 2 all the xs11 people....this is truly a xs11 community!!....ross (one member of the community)
          rebel devil
          1979 xs 1100f standard
          "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
          i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

corey, i thought i'd never see it, but my checkbook is over in the corner having a beer!!!!!....ross
            rebel devil
            1979 xs 1100f standard
            "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Hooray for drinking checkbooks! Old bikes require a lot of maintenance, and I'm fine with that. Its just when the bills start pilling up that I get bothered. $5 an o-ring? Steep, seeing as how its just rubber. Not to say anyone has unfair pricing, what with supply and demand and the like. Its just a pain, ya know what I mean?

ALL in all, they are definitely worth it! Glad to hear its working out, HAVE FUN WITH IT!
              Corey J. Bennett
              '79 XS1100SF

Comment

corey....i understand pricing issues....i have found that working with a o-ring distributor is priceless......i have not checked in with him about the seal mentioned above, but if u have the original, he can most likely find a match 4 it.....like i mentioned b4...i'm a cheap b*stard and i hate paying $ when i don't have 2...i just won a couple auctions on ebay and the bike is looking better by the moment.....thanx 2 corey, red bandit, and last but not least, topcatgr58, one of our host, for all the free advice.....like i said b4.....this is a community....ross
                rebel devil
                1979 xs 1100f standard
                "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Working...
                X