Pickup coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup coils

I haven't pulled them apart yet - with the intention of re-doing the wiring, and was wondering how the wire is attached to the actual coil ie:Can I change the whole wire or do I have to solder it to a little bit left sticking out of the coil.
    Also is there a way to test the coils when they're off?
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Bonded in at the factory so you will have to connect to a piece that is left on the actual pickup coil. The break or weakness is almost always where the wires flex when the timing advances.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Testing...

You can apply 6 volts DC to one wire of the pick up and with a meter attached to the other lead and the ground side of the 6 volts DC supply, passing a bit of metal like a screwdriver to the pick up face will change the reading on the meter. Should go from 6 volts to 0 volts....
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I fixed mine but..

After having done that, and then buying a new setup, I'd have to say that its much better to buy a new set.

The money you think you are saving by fixing the old busted a$$ ones is not worth the piece of mind knowing that the pickups are new and reliable.

IMHO

greg
        Gone but never Forgotten:
        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
        2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
        2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Word of advice about new pick up coils. I installed new ones on my 78E because every time I fixed one bad spot I seemed to cause another. About 2 months after I installed the new coils the bike quit on a ride. I was lucky enough to get a free trailer ride home. After serveral hours of clever diaganostic work with a friend we could not find the problem. I mentioned that the only new thing on the bike were the new pick up coils. We pulled the cover off and saw that the connection between one of the regular wires and one the "bendy" wires had come apart. A quick fix later back on the road. Have put 20K miles since with no problems.
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

So you are saying that the new pick-up coil wires have a connection to a stiffer, wire?

Originally posted by jeffe
            ...and saw that the connection between one of the regular wires and one the "bendy" wires had come apart. A quick fix later back on the road. Have put 20K miles since with no problems.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

skids,

The 'bendy' wires are crimped onto 'regular' wire inside the harness, about 12" away from the pickups. I think this is the connection that failed in jeffe's description.

Also, one of the reasons the 'bendy' wires fail is that the wires are bunched up too tightly in the clamps at the timing plate. They need room to flex. When making the repair or installing new pickups, be sure to leave enough slack so the movement of the plate doesn't stress the wires or you'll be making the repair again.

Comment

Randy is correct. That was where mine failed. I did leave a little more slack after the repair. No more problems.
                78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Working...
                X