seat changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat changing

does anyone know if a 1980 standard seat will fit on my '79 f standard...it looks like it will, but want 2 hear from someone thats done it (if possible)....thanx in advance....ride free, ride hard....ride as soon as this damn snow goes away...
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Sorry I have no idea if that will fit or not - I'm sure a guru will get back to you shortly.
    I was just wondering if you could edit your signature - it's a lot more interesting if we can see what you ride and where you are, may also help with the answer to future questions.
    Thanks.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

will look into it very shortly...thanx
      rebel devil
      1979 xs 1100f standard
      "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
      i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

no it will interfere with the side covers, the 80 side covers will not snap in place because the 79 and 80 has different lugs for the mounts

i think the seat will go on but will contact yur side covers, and the rear of the seat may hit the igniter located on your fender
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

mason....thank you very much....i wasn't sure, but something just looked too good for it to fit.....if anyone is looking for a almost new seat i can give you the ebay item # for the one i was looking at...i knew i could find the right answer from the xs11 experts.....ride safe....ross
          rebel devil
          1979 xs 1100f standard
          "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Seems to me that the 80 standards are the same as the 78/79. I would look into that a little more before walking away Ross.

Just my $0.02

Paul
            Paul
            1983 XJ1100 Maxim
            1979 XS1100 Standard
            1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

I just did a check at Yamaha parts site and the seat and inner rear fender have different part nimbers from 79 to 80. I seem to remember it being said that the TCI had been relocated on the 80's and the 79 seat would hit it.

Comment

see, this is why i come here....to get both sides of the fence and find out the real poop, from people that have tried the real poop.....will be watching the comments....thanx in advance for all the feedback...ross
                rebel devil
                1979 xs 1100f standard
                "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

footnote folks....i am putting a '80 seat on a '79 f frame....so far though i am very interested in the discussion
                  rebel devil
                  1979 xs 1100f standard
                  "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

The first problem with putting a later seat on a 79F is that, if you look at the bottom outside edges of the seat right below the rider's butt, the seat flanges dip a bit lower than the 79 seat, and will interfer with the side covers. However, this area can be trimmed by removing the cover fastenings and trimming the flanges a bit more straight across the bottom. The second problem is the location of the TCI box. The F has the box mounted at the rear of the seat with a plastic tailpiece to cover it. The newer model seat will sit on the box and not allow the seat to drop into place. You may need a later fender to mount the box forward, there is an indent in the seat pan to clear this TCI box. I am not sure if there is enough wire to move the box forward, as like the later models. But this mod can be done, and the later model seats are a bit more butt friendly.
                    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

rover, thank you for your complete and detailed explanation...you sound like you have done this in real time and are educated in the school of XS11.....i was looking at an '80 seat on ebay and my butt cheeks were saying "BUY IT!!".....but alas, my cash reserve is dwindling as i have already bought many goodies to re-do my bike (gas tank, side covers, emblems, re-do the paint myself, etc)...might look into it next year as my winter project, i also cleaned the carbs, replaced the float bowl gaskets, new pilot jets and more....hope to have a picture up as soon as i get her all back 2gether....once again XS11 community, thank you very much for all your help....ross
                      rebel devil
                      1979 xs 1100f standard
                      "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Don't "talk out your butt". People will talk. Trust me. And they will never offer you a cigar.

Originally posted by ross
                        ... and my butt cheeks were saying "BUY IT
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

after riding 280 miles in one day....and most of it on the ohio turnpike....i was hearing voices and they were telling me about the pain......was quite a long ride to visit family and have a cold beer....thanx 4 the advice though....
                          rebel devil
                          1979 xs 1100f standard
                          "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

I have an 80LG seat on a 79 special.
                            It fits...sorta...with out modification but,
                            sides do hang down so seat has to come off to remove side covers. Back of seat is different too.

TCI was in the way when I tried putting a 79F seat on an 80G.

mro

Comment

Butt talking????

Only 280 miles and your butt is talking. Man, if you ride with me it would really SCREAM. Several humdred miles is a normal ride for me, haven't done 1000 mi yet, but been real close......
                              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                              Drilled airbox
                              Tkat fork brace
                              Hardly mufflers
                              late model carbs
                              Newer style fuses
                              Oil pressure guage
                              Custom security system
                              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...