is it possible to replace the origninal ignition unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible to replace the origninal ignition unit

is it possible to replace the origninal ignition unit(cdi box) in 1981yamaha xs 1100 numero tid14-04 4ro-10 by a dyna 3000 or dynatek dspt or http://www.dynaonline.com/english/ca...t_lowres.pdfor any other systeme.the origninal ignition unit is not anaible anymore by dealer ,thank you farmer

They are usually available on ebay, or someone here will probably have one for you. I have no doubt you'll be hearing from one of us soon ( Andreas?)

Comment

ignition unit

Last one I had was shipped after christmas to a member on the list. Currently MIA in the postal system. Do not have any other 4ro units. andreas

Comment

4RO TCI...?

Think Randy is the member who is the TCI XSpert on the forum.

Not knowing you specials condition/symptoms...
        Spark plugs not firing?

Before replacing TCI

Clean prongs on the two TCI connectors and on the TCI it's self.
        Check/clean all connections for the coils (including the spark plug caps. Sometimes need to cut 7 mm off the end and reattach spark plug cap.
        Would check/clean grounds(earths)

Last would open the TCI
        This is what Randy has done and has successfully repaired TCI/s.
        A TCI weak point (solder connections between TCI and it's external connectors) Clean and resolder.

If above helps not...Get another TCI
        If you can not find a 4RO TCI...I may have one, but know not it’s condition.

mro

Comment

Several Options available!

Hey Farmer,

Check out this thread on ignition module , I put it on the second page, about half way down the page where Jerry posts, you'll find info about the different types of TCI's used, and other options for repairing/replacing yours with same or earlier style, and the other parts you would need to do so!

But like MRO said, you'll need to do some more diagnostics before you write off your TCI, they are fairly robust.

Regrettably RANDY can't repair the 81 4RO or 82 XJ's 10M units due to proprietary timing advance curve programmed Eproms!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Regrettably RANDY can't repair the 81 4RO or 82 XJ's 10M units due to proprietary timing advance curve programmed Eproms!
            While it's true that the timing functions in the 4RO and later TCI's is not repairable, the rest of the circuitry is the pretty much same accross all the years. That said, it's a good bet that if you have a TCI problem, more than likely that it's a solder problem.

If you like, farmer, I'd be glad to troubleshoot it for you if you cover postage.

Comment

Working...
            X