Let there be light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let there be light

This seems to be a common problem with XS's. Here is what I found and how I fixed it. I have tried many different headlight bulbs in an effort to get something I would not overdrive at 40MPH. None of these seemed to make much a difference. I had pretty well resigned myself that this was how it is and there was no way to fix it. Last night I had no headlight, so I boogied home before it got dark and proceeded to troubleshoot. I found the fuse had vibrated apart, easy fix. Since I had the meters out, I decided to check out a few things. I measured voltage at the battery with the bike @2500rpm, 12.6v. I measured voltage at the headlight fuse, 11.2v, I was onto something. I then measured voltage at the headlight, 10.8v!!! Bringing RPM up to 3500, I still only had 11v at the headlight. Cleaned every connection I could find with no change. I ran a wire from the battery directly to the headlight fuse, instant change. I installed a relay, running 14g wire. Sucess!! 13v @ 3000rpm, 11.9 @ idle, and a much brighter headlight. I have cancelled my glacoma exam.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

"I installed a relay running 14g wire..."

For the electrically and conceptually challenged, please further describe the relay, where it was installed and from where to where did you run the wire?
    Appreciate it. I have the same dull glow problem at night.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

I put a relay in for my driving lights (on the XS), I got it at Radio shack for $6, 12 volt 30 amp capacity (IIRC). I actually installed this same set up on my Dodge Dakota, it had too small of wire and went through about 50 conectors to get a ground. Anyway I installed mine right behind the tank, directly above the air filter box, there is a nice little opening there that just fits the relay.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

The relays can be purchased at any auto parts store. They are commonly used with add on driving lights. There will be a schematic on the package explaining how to wire them in. In my application, 80g w/factory fairing, I wire tied it inside the headlight shell. The relays are very small. Be sure to solder connections or crimp them very well and use shrink wrap when you can. Always fuse your main power lead. A relay can be best described as a switch for a switch.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to get the meter out this spring and start looking for bad connections. I have a Vetter, the 9 pin plug might be the first place to look.
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
          X