What's wrong w/ my XS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong w/ my XS?

Hi everyone! A newbie here! Thanks for the this wonderful site! Mine is a 79' Xs1100F & im suffering from a few headaches in my bike. Here are the problems:

1. drains my brandnew battery after 30 mins ride
    2. after few hrs it will start again w/o recharging the battery
    3. u can feel the erratic idling before the 30 mins ride
    3. my number 1 exhaust is a bit colder than the rest
    4. gas flooding (maybe bec of my petcocks or float valve)
    5. is it my coil, rectifier, stator or something?

Thanks a lot for the help!
    1979 XS1100F
    All stock

The best thing you can do for help as a new member is to edit your profile signature with information on your year and model of xs as there are differences between different years and models. It can also help to post modifications from stock such as pod filters or aftermarket exhaust.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
      The best thing you can do for help as a new member is to edit your profile signature with information on your year and model of xs as there are differences between different years and models. It can also help to post modifications from stock such as pod filters or aftermarket exhaust.
      Thanks 81xs! I just edited my signature. Again, my beast is a 1979 XS1100F. No mods whatsoever & is in good shape!

Thanks!
      1979 XS1100F
      All stock

Comment

Re: What's wrong w/ my XS?

1. dirty electrical connection(s) - start where ground strap attaches to the frame

2. you're lucky

3. idle circuit in one or more carbs is dirty - carbs need cleaned

3. at least one carb out of sync - need to sync them all

4. at least one petcock and at least one float valve are leaking - need to check/repair both petcocks and all 4 float valves

5. probably not - see above

There's lots of good information in the tech articles to get you started, and you can always come back here for more.

Welcome to the forum.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Re: Re: What's wrong w/ my XS?

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
          1. dirty electrical connection(s) - start where ground strap attaches to the frame

2. you're lucky

3. idle circuit in one or more carbs is dirty - carbs need cleaned

3. at least one carb out of sync - need to sync them all

4. at least one petcock and at least one float valve are leaking - need to check/repair both petcocks and all 4 float valves

5. probably not - see above

There's lots of good information in the tech articles to get you started, and you can always come back here for more.

Welcome to the forum.
          Thanks ken! we just diagnosed the problem as follows:

1. Stator is good
          2. Wiring harness is great & no open wires
          3. Battery is brandnew
          4. and the culprit? My rectifier/regulator! It doesn't bring out power thats why it makes my battery drained.

Will keep u posted when Mr. Oregon man delivers my rec/reg in 5-7 days. Whew! That's too long!
          1979 XS1100F
          All stock

Comment

Nice to see you got to the root of the problem so quickly. Have you come across many XS11s in your part of the world?
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
            X