Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off the subject....

Hey Dan,

It's kind of in an odd spot, so I was wondering how you got that dent in your #2 header pipe in the location it's in??

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

G'day Tod

I bought that entire system off ebay and the dent came with it! It's actually a system for an XJ1100 and dosen't quite fit, it's about half an inch too short and I had to attach the rear mounts to the rear footpeg bracket using large washers, not the rubber lined hole that's made for the purpose.

You can see that the proper mounting hole is vacant and the chrome nut I've rigged through the rear footpeg bracket. I have a perfect No.3 header pipe but I'm not sure if it will replace No.2. I'm not able to use the centre stand with this system because the cross-over pipe is in the wrong position so I've since replaced it with a four into one set up that came with the bike. I've had it sand blasted, had the holes the sand blasting revealed welded up and painted the system in red ceramic.

I've also replaced those krauser bags with a full Vetter set up but I've yet to get any pic taken (I don't have a camera). Long winded answer to a short question, sorry.

Dan
      Windbag.
      Automotive Imbecile.
      Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
      '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Of all the luck....

Out of all the XS exhaust systems out there, you get the hardest one to find. I have the exhaust off of an 80 (I believe) and I am having the same problem as you with it being too short, but only by a tiny bit. I have to use a pry bar just a bit to get it back all the way to fit the mounting hole. It's only off by a 1/4 inch or so though. I have to mount up everything loose until I get that bolt through.. then button it up tight. Also, since the XJ's mufflers aren't welded on like some of the years, I am betting you could get some sort of collar or extension with an extra clamp and make it work like it's supposed to.

I went out and looked at an old set of XJ pipes I have. I think the only difference between #2 and #3 is going to be in that "Drain plug??" at the bottom. I don't know what they are for, but it would simply have the plug on the wrong side of the pipe? Since I (Nor anyone I know of) have ever taken these plugs out and you'd never see them, it should work for you if you ever need it. Kind of like having the wrong bowls on your carbs. It will work, but the drain holes won't be on the correct side.

Also... your clutch cover plate with the lines. Are these raised fins, or simply cosmetic strips taped off when painting?

Sorry to rob the thread... but Stralya's last pic does show an oil cooler... sort of??

Tod
        Last edited by trbig; 02-03-2008, 11:44 AM.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Hi Trbig,

They are raised strips, cast into the ally; I think all of the black engine models have 'em......

AlanB
          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Re: Of all the luck....

Originally posted by trbig
            I think the only difference between #2 and #3 is going to be in that "Drain plug??" at the bottom. I don't know what they are for, but it would simply have the plug on the wrong side of the pipe?
            I always thought these would be for using an exhaust gas analyzer??
            Ken Talbot

Comment

???? Makes sense. That way you could find out what each cylinder was doing, not just the wand thingy stuck in the end of the tailpipe like they do for an inspection. Three passing and one rich would fail all of them I suppose.

How about spots for 4 little oxygen sensors?? lol. Now I'm curious??

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

I thought they were grease nipples....

Just kidding
                Automotive Imbecile.
                Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Working...
                X