'82 XJ11 Torque/HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 XJ11 Torque/HP

Hey y'all, my younger brother (who has fallen in love with my bike) is curious about how much torque and horse power my bike has. I told him I'd look in the owner's manual and get back to him, but wasn't able to find anything. Can I get some help?
    "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

I believe the 78 has 85 HP and 65 ft/lbs torque, so I would venture to guess that the XJ is just slightly lower than that.

Comment

My answer is,,,,,, Enough to keep this old dog in the runnin with the young dogs. It has enough ponies to pull a 72 Ford F-250, and enough Torque to run two up fully loaded from one state to another.
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

The '78 was the biggest motor, as far as HP. Factory was 95 CRANK HP. I think they had dropped the HP to about 90 at the crank in '81. Torque was about 65 Pound Feet in '78, and that didn't change much.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Probably close to this:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...1100g%2081.htm
          79 XS11 special

Comment

Thanks everyone! Now at least I have a ballpark to appease him with.
            "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

81 Advertised H.P.

Originally posted by DiverRay
              The '78 was the biggest motor, as far as HP. Factory was 95 CRANK HP. I think they had dropped the HP to about 90 at the crank in '81. Torque was about 65 Pound Feet in '78, and that didn't change much.
              I have an 81 Special that I bought new and the certificate of origin listed the hp as 95, a copy of which I still have. The 78,79,80 and 81's were all rated the same horsepower by the factory however I have nothing on the 82's that give a HP figure. If you read the Yamaha shop manual closely, you will see which models had a slight advantage in stock form over the others.
              81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

The horse power and torque should be measured at the back wheel, not the crank. ( Dyno/strip.) Horsepower at the crank should give you an idea about what to use for the rest of the drive train. You can have 95 ponies at the crank, run through an elaborate trans set up, through a shaft, then gotta turn the wheel, as well as push 670+/- lbs.( hopeing that a math guru jump in and give us the final answer. ) rear wheel ponies are now around the ballpark of 80-85 ( guess-ta-mate )
                Torque is what moves off the line. Horsepower keeps it going.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,

Valves, carbs, exaust and ignition for horsepower
                Gears, wheel/tire size for torque

Weight for both.
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Before I did the carb mods to my SG, we ran the bike on the dyno stock.

Results were around 75 bhp. The same dyno ran three other stock XSs; two were within a couple of bhp of mine, other one had ripped up diaphragms and showed 25 horse!!........ Owner thought it went OK.......

AlanB
                  If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Advertised Horsepower For 82 XJ 1100 Maxim

Motorcycles and cars sold in the U.S. all use the S.A.E. standard when quoting torque and horsepower figures. These figures are taken at the clutch and not the rear wheel. In a motorcycle having a shaft drive like the Eleven the power at the rear wheel will be about 15%-20% less than it is at the clutch. The efficiency of the final drive also depends on the point where the pinion intersects the ring gear. Ideally the closer the center of the ring gear is where the pinon intersects it the more efficient the FD will be. In my previous post I stated that I didn't have the factory advertised horsepower and torque figures for the 82 XJ Maxim 1100 however I checked my files today and found them. The figures given by Yamaha for the Maxim are 92 HP @ 7500 rpm and 65.1 ft-Lbs (9.0kg-m) of torque @ 6500rpm. The dry weight on the Maxim was 566 lbs. There is or was a company by the name of Ian Smith Information, PO box 9440, Denver, CO. 80209-0440, Telephone (303) 777-2385 that will sell you a nicely bound copy of all the test conducted by Cycle World, Cycle, Rider, Cycle Guide and American Rider on the XS and XJ series of motorcycles. I have found the information contained in the Smith publication to be very helpful. I don't recall who it was inquiring about info on the XJ, but hopefully this will help.

Comment

It was me inquiring. Thanks Dan! I think I'm gonna try and pick up one of those publications. Is it year-specific, or just a bulk "XS" book and "XJ" book?

Comment

I have one of the Ian Smith Motorcycle Reports for the standard and it is definitely a good read. The one I have is not year specific, but it is model specific. There are not any articles about the specials or xjs, just the good old standard. On the cover, there is this Website. It might be a good place to start.
                        1980 XS 1100 Standard
                        1980 XS 1100 Special
                        1982 XJ 1100
                        1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Originally posted by D. P. Larmee
                          I have one of the Ian Smith Motorcycle Reports for the standard and it is definitely a good read. The one I have is not year specific, but it is model specific. There are not any articles about the specials or xjs, just the good old standard. On the cover, there is this Website. It might be a good place to start.
                          Wow, went to that site, did a search for Yamaha Maxim, and right away it came up with an 18 page, 2 article pdf that is specifically on the '82 XJ1100J! I'm gonna buy it right now! Thanks!

Comment

Hi Gunslinger,
                            now you have the numbers there remains what to tell your little brother. I'd say, two things:-
                            1) Enough.
                            2) Stay off my f---ing bike!
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: Advertised Horsepower For 82 XJ 1100 Maxim

Originally posted by Dan Hodges
                              Motorcycles and cars sold in the U.S. all use the S.A.E. standard when quoting torque and horsepower figures. These figures are taken at the clutch and not the rear wheel. In a motorcycle having a shaft drive like the Eleven the power at the rear wheel will be about 15%-20% less than it is at the clutch. The efficiency of the final drive also depends on the point where the pinion intersects the ring gear. Ideally the closer the center of the ring gear is where the pinon intersects it the more efficient the FD will be. In my previous post I stated that I didn't have the factory advertised horsepower and torque figures for the 82 XJ Maxim 1100 however I checked my files today and found them. The figures given by Yamaha for the Maxim are 92 HP @ 7500 rpm and 65.1 ft-Lbs (9.0kg-m) of torque @ 6500rpm. The dry weight on the Maxim was 566 lbs. There is or was a company by the name of Ian Smith Information, PO box 9440, Denver, CO. 80209-0440, Telephone (303) 777-2385 that will sell you a nicely bound copy of all the test conducted by Cycle World, Cycle, Rider, Cycle Guide and American Rider on the XS and XJ series of motorcycles. I have found the information contained in the Smith publication to be very helpful. I don't recall who it was inquiring about info on the XJ, but hopefully this will help.

For those asking about the advertised horsepower figures from Yamaha on the 81 model, I submit a copy of the statement of origin on my 81 Special.

Comment

Working...
                              X