brakes and suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes and suspension

just wondering if there are any newer model brake calipers(multi- piston) that would fit on my 78e, also would lowering my front forks i.e. loosening triple tree and sliding up 3/4'' or 1'' help or worsen handling????
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

You will have no ground clearance. As is the bike scrapes around every turn. Your best bet would be to get longer shocks.
    --nick

Comment

Hi Garth,

Anything is possible! Try a search; My bike has FZR forks and brakes, Pggg has modern brakes and 18"front wheel on XS forks, as well as lots of others.

Many later Yamahas and Suzukis use the same head bearings as the XS, so front-end swaps are easy, so long as you watch out for the stem length.

However, as somesuch points out, lowering the fork limits ground clearance, and most modern bikes have short forks.....

AlanB
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

say what???

if they are in top condition and you feel they are inadequite, then maybe, however if you have not gone thru rebuilding the master cylinder, calipers, added new pads, stainless lines , with new fluid, then, my suggestions is to try that first,

while tedious work, would imo, be nothing compared to grafting an off model system on a bike then has a fine reputation for stopping agility and abilities,

mine hauls it down with just a tap on the lever and i go fast and i carry full hard bags, i drilled my discs as well, but i think you can safely circumvent this endevor, outside of modernization in appearance.

so the long and short is, make the front and rear brake tip top in shape and then make that judgement call. you'll be glad you did.
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

brakes

What about a new front master cylinder?
          have you seen any replacement for cheap????
          91 kwaka kz1000p
          Stock

Comment

whats wrong with yours?

if bad andreas might be able to help, or even ebay...

i lowered my forks once, an inch, it felt quicker in steering, now i got it back up for stability at high speed god only knows how you would want stability with these wobble prone beasts...

frankly my repacking the steering bearings, progressive springs, helped alot
            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

To add to mason79, DO NOT FORGET THE FORK BRACE!! It WILL make a huge difference! I have a Tkat brace , S.S. brake lines, and progressive springs on a stock '79F. Even with the fairing, I can corner with most bikes going over the hill from Santa Cruz to San Jose. The three items cost about $350.00 and a few hours of work, but made ALL the difference IMHO.
              I DO have a '78 Yamaha fairing on the front, so it's NOT light.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

master cylinder

it is so oxidized that you can see the fluid level and it may leak although I cant see where, also if I replace brake lines w/ss do need some kind of extension to run just two lines or do I have to run a 1-2 setup
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

Comment

fork brace

I do have a tkat fork brace , but stupid me got won for a special not a standard and the damn thing is to loose, oh well I talked tkat and send him the brace and get one that fits
                  91 kwaka kz1000p
                  Stock

Comment

Hey Garth,

Yes, you can get aftermarket front MC for about $80.00 from several sources, MikesXS, PNM, etc.. Just you'll want to make sure you get the 16mm piston bore to be able to handle both calipers. They also sell a IIRC13 or 14mm for a single front caliper!

You can use just 2 long lines and get an extra long banjo bolt to fit into the MC, essentially it's the same length as the 1 in the front splitter! Same amount of fluid for either 3 or 2 lines, and usually can save you some $$ with just 2 longer lines without the splitter!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                    X