Not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not starting

So, I have lights, 11v on the battery, and not so much as a click from the bike. It is not the Kill switch, fuses look okay.

Any ideas?
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Pain,

Is the solenoid OK? Try jumping it with an old screwdriver. If you get action, then either the solenoid is bad OR the +12V feed to it is dead, OR the starter button is no good.

Comment

Hey Pain,

11 volts is a little low! You might want to try putting the battery on a charger for a day first! Also, have you tried jumping it from a car/truck with the engine OFF??? How old is the battery?

You can take the starter push button switch assembly OFF, and then put a voltmeter on the starter wire between it and ground and check for power. IF you don't get any, somethings wrong! IF you do get power, then try jumping that wire directly to ground, sometimes the contacts in the switch get corroded, IF it works, then clean the contacts, the switch assembly so that it'll make good contact with the handlebars where that WIRE needs to ground to so that it can complete the circuit to activate the starter by throwing the solenoid!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You also stated that the fuses 'look' good. If you have the old glass ones, it is always worth testing for continuity across them as they can go out and still look okay.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I had the wire from starter button to the solenoid break inside the insulation, it drove me crazy looking for the problem. Some times it would start then it wouldn't. that might be worth a look.
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I didn't think 11v was too low, I mean to not even get the starter to click or something, but I will hook it up to the charger, and try by-passing the switch.

I'll try and remember to post up the results.
            I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

11v is very low for these bikes mine has almost a 3v drop w/ starter engaged w/ battery fully charged at 12.7v so even if it does crank there still not enough juice for the ign
              when in doubt...get a bigger hammer
              '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
              '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
              '78 Cadillac Seville
              Don't steal the government hates competition

Comment

Okay, a much belated follow up post. I kinda back-burned this bike for a while and sorted out some carb jetting issues. Now, though, I am looking into it again.

Below are the tests TC suggested I run, but if you read you will note there are no directions for a lack of power at the starter button wire. I don't have power there. There is also no clicking or whirring or anything else.

In fact, the electrical wires all tested exactly the same as my other xs11, with the engine stop switch set to "Stop." Switching out the switches had no effect.

I have searched around for this on the forum, but haven't found anything. Well, I found links to wiring diagrams, but I can't make heads or tails out of those.

I am not really good at electrical problems, but my local mechanic (Who hates them too, but I pay him to make it better) is pretty booked for the next couple weeks with spring fever. I am feeling like I can fix this...but I need alittle help

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                Hey Pain,

11 volts is a little low! You might want to try putting the battery on a charger for a day first! Also, have you tried jumping it from a car/truck with the engine OFF??? How old is the battery?

You can take the starter push button switch assembly OFF, and then put a voltmeter on the starter wire between it and ground and check for power. IF you don't get any, somethings wrong! IF you do get power, then try jumping that wire directly to ground, sometimes the contacts in the switch get corroded, IF it works, then clean the contacts, the switch assembly so that it'll make good contact with the handlebars where that WIRE needs to ground to so that it can complete the circuit to activate the starter by throwing the solenoid!
                T.C.

Comment

no crank

Does the bike crank when jumping the two large wires on the solenoid with a screwdriver? Check that first. Make sure the bike is in neutral.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Re: no crank

Originally posted by bikerphil
                    Does the bike crank when jumping the two large wires on the solenoid with a screwdriver? Check that first. Make sure the bike is in neutral.
                    Yes.

Comment

Mabye next, check the connectors of the right handlebar switch. I think they are under the tank or behind the headlight. Clean all related connections.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil
                        Mabye next, check the connectors of the right handlebar switch. I think they are under the tank or behind the headlight. Clean all related connections.
                        All clean.

And I have good continueity from the switch to the solenoid.

Comment

Ok, did you check the connection at the key switch? Also, with key on, tap the solenoid with screwdriver handle while holding down the start button. This might free it up if it's stuck.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

Which connection at the key switch am I checking? Turning the key does turn on the bike's power, is there a wire that goes to the starter button?

The solenoid will crank if I short out the contacts, should I still try hitting it?
                            Last edited by Pain; 04-20-2008, 01:34 PM.

Comment

solenoid

Try tapping the solenoid while holding the starter button with the key on. By jumping the solenoid as you did, just by-passes the solenoid. If this doesn't work, find the blue & white wire coming out of the solenoid. Use a jumper and touch to ground (-) and see if the starter cranks.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X