No announcement yet.

81 special leaky petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After looking at Mikesxs, are the brass floats they show the same for my carbs? 81 special?
    1981 Eleven Special

Comment

Also, it does not slide. Sorry, wrong wording - I meant it doesn't move - stuck
      1981 Eleven Special

Comment

I thought the '81 had the plastic floats. As I ride the older bikes, I know I'm NOT an expert.
        I think the MikesXS float will work, but maybe someone who has ordered from them will chime in. Be careful pulling the pin if the float is not moving!! It is easy to break the post, and then you have more problems. There are a few tips on getting carbs apart in the tech tips section from the main page. If you need the bike running now, you may be able to repair the float.
        Stick it in HOT, but NOT boiling water, hold it down with a spoon or something, and look for bubbles. Mark the location with something, pull out of the water and then solder up the leak.
        When you put the float back on, don't forget to clean the pin and float so it will swing free.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. As much as I have read here, I was suprised to see the brass float also. I already removed the float and would rather replace than repair. i found what looks like the same float at mikes xs. I just want to be sure before I order. Any other suggestions from all of you out there??
          1981 Eleven Special

Comment

Hey Dad,

Did you have brass floats in ALL of your carbs?? My 81SH has the newer plastic styled ones, like the ones that DiverRay was talking about! Could the PO have swapped out the carbs on your bike for an earlier set???

IIRC, folks have been able to use the newer plastic ones okay, but I thought the brass ones were shaped differently and didn't work right!?

You might want to do a more extensive search for brass floats mikesxs and see what shows up.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey Top Cat. All four were brass, so the po might have swapped. I searched mikexs and the floats they show look right - same shape (rounded) but how do I know for sure? Are there different floats or are all xs floats the same? Can I use plastic floats or stay with the brass ones?
              1981 Eleven Special

Comment

Hey Dad,

Here are the part numbers for the early and late 650's as well as the early and late 1100, and the 3 letter prefix for the 650 brass ones are different than the 1100, so they are of a different shape.

2A2-14985-00-00 79SF11 Float
                256-14985-00-00 78XS650 brass float

3H5-14985-00-00 81SH11 Float
                3H5-14985-00-00 81 Xs650 float!
                But, you can see the plastic ones have the same ID # completely, and so they can be interchanged in the later carbs, and I'm pretty sure folks have used the plastic ones in the earlier carbs, but might require replacing all 4 to ensure being able to set them even!?

Mike'sXS won't help you regarding the brass ones, because they only know about the 650's, and won't be able to tell you if they will work in the 1100.

I haven't done a search yet to see if I can find anybody else that has successfully used the MikesXS brass floats in the early model XS11 carbs that use the brass ones?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Found the INFO!

Here's the link to the thread by SideCarKev that I was thinking of, and he confirmed what I remember him posting, that the MikesXS brass floats will NOT work with XS11 carbs.

BUT, the plastic ones WILL fit both early and late model carbs!

Does your float needle seat PRESS in with a rubber O-ring around it's base, and held in place with a U clamp and screw=later model carbs?

OR does the entire seat screw into the carb body with a thin flat washer under it=early model brass float carbs??
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

T.C. Thanks for the research. To answer the question the entire seat screw into the carb body with a thin flat washer under it=early model brass float carbs??Yes. I guess I should go ahead and order 4 plastic floats if they are interchangeable. Bob
                    1981 Eleven Special

Comment

One more question. The brass floats listed at mikes xs are said to fit 38mm mikuni. The plastic floats fit 34mm carbs. Which do we have??
                      1981 Eleven Special

Comment

We have the 34mm. The info about why the brass floats wouldn't fit is in that link/thread I posted! The 650's brass are much wider and won't fit into the 11's float chamber.
                        T.C.

PS, so now you know that you have the early model carbs that were put on your late model bike/engine. One thing you'll want to check is IF you are running the OEM air box, and you are running the upper carb bowl vent lines to the air box, that the airbox nipples are free flowing. Since the later carbs have the bowl vents in the inlet bells of the carbs, they closed OFF those nipples on the later airboxes, and so they won't actually VENT unless you drill some holes in them before you connect the vent hoses! I hope you have the upper "T" fittings connected to vent tubing and open to vent, and not connected to each other, because that would cause them to not vent, and make the carbs leak as well!!!
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

All of you are such a wealth of information and so willing to share your knowledge. Thanks for your help and I will update as I progress into the carb problems. I do have the air box and will check the venting.
                          1981 Eleven Special

Comment

dads11special....either check mikesxs.com or look on ebay......have seen floats on there rather reasonable.....good luck...ross
                            rebel devil
                            1979 xs 1100f standard
                            authenic historical vehicle
                            42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                            "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                            "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                            "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                            '96 venture cct.....installed!
                            stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                            i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Ross, found plastic floats at mikes xs for $12 each. Thanks
                              1981 Eleven Special

Comment

welcome to a family of xs11'ers.....i'm still amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is here for the asking....i know i would be proud to ride with any member on the board....good luck....ross
                                rebel devil
                                1979 xs 1100f standard
                                authenic historical vehicle
                                42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                                "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                                "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                                "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                                '96 venture cct.....installed!
                                stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                                i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Working...
                                X