Handlebar replacement options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handlebar replacement options

I've been having some off-line discussions with another XSive who can't seem to get his forum registration to work properly. He can read thinks okay, but can't post yet. His latest query follows:

I read on the xs home page some time ago that the handle bars can be quite
    painful on peoples wrists/elbow Last year I done a tour around Scotland
    and found I had this pain had It for year now went to the doctors Its
    tennis elbow .

On the xs home page Tech tips xs/xj Discussions Page18 theres a part with
    the heading Standard Handle Bars on a Special which I have read one owner
    has fitted Honda GL bars on his XS But the problem Is I cant send email to
    this site or ask questions very annoying,

I need to fit different bars to mine but this owner doesn't say which
    model GL he got them off ok he may not know but there again he may. and no
    dealer here keeps any in stock. Ive just had a look on the site Its Jim
    Scott GL1100. Or you may know of a pare that fit yourself. I can get US
    parts over here.

Or could you ask this question on the XS page for me please. There's
    somebody out there who knows the answer to my question the trouble Is I
    cant ask the question.

Thanks

Tony

Please help Tony here or directly to Tonybitzy@aol.com if you can help while we work on getting him properly signed up.
    Ken Talbot

GoldWing Bars on XS.

I put GL bars on mine, I think they were from a mid to late 80's model, but not sure, got them from a motorcycle salvage shop, they had several on the rack, they were the same diameter as the Buckhorns, almost the same length, and since they were going back on a Special, the cables were long enough to reach. The angle is more spread apart so the wrists don't bend so much to the side like when you are holding onto the buckhorns. My old Bucks had gotten bent due to a droppage, so that's why I replaced them, and I was able to try out the feel of the other bars in the shop before I bought them. Wish I could be more specific about the year. They had those screw in roller tips in the ends, not sure if that was a stock item from Honda, but if so, that might help narrow down what years came with that feature!?

If you can check some measurements, the bars are about 8" wide at the tree clamp, about 15-16 apart at the top bends, bend to bend, and the very ends are 30 inches apart/wide, with about 12inches of reach, length for grips/mirror/control mounts. The End tips being 30 wide is the key to the angle of the grips. The 2 types in the JC Whipme are only 25 wide. I'm sure someone with OEM bars, or even yourself(Tony) can measure your bars, I'm sure you'll find that they're not 30" wide tipend to tipend!

Good luck hunting a pair.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have GL bars on my '79 Special from Dennis Kirk

http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendo...&PartNo=591834
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Ken--bring this registration problem to the admin forum so we can get it worked out
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Check out the website www.sideroadcycles.com, go to imported cycles, then 7/8" Flanders handlebars. It has pictures and specs on about a dozen different styles under street.
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

XS 1.1 Sport option

Maybe an XS11 answer for Tony.

The Euro XS1.1s sport has fairly flat bars which are really adjustable.

Worth having a look at the pictures section to see what I mean - although detail not there.

Will copy this to Tony's email address and see if I can help him off-forum
            XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
            Guzzi 850
            Z1000

Comment

Hey All,
              I just ordered clubman style Z handlebars for my 1980 standard from american sideroad cycles (flanders)
              And I found another site that makes em custom

http://www.customhandlebars.com/

Ed.
              Ed C.
              1980G Factory Full Dress

Comment

Handlebar options

Thanks Ken, as you can see I have now registered!!

Thanks to everybody for your replies and help. I think I am going for the option of the GL1100 handlebars and see how they are.

Her indoors says that if this doesnt work the bikes going in the bin because shes fed up with me spending hours on this site looking for solutions!!

Tony
                XS1100 SG
                Triumph Trophy 900
                Honda CB700sc

Comment

Working...
                X