Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wanna do the 85-140 speedometer mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna do the 85-140 speedometer mod...

Will this speedometer work? I read the thread in the Modifications section, and it makes it seem like all I need is the speedometer face and wiring from this one on ebay and just swap it out (with some minor dremmel action) - kind of a plug-and-play type deal. Is that correct? My brother-in-law has agreed to do whatever little mods I want until I get home as he's pretty handy around a wrench and screw driver.
    "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Hey Ryan,

That speedo/ebay link was removed! However, IIRC, any square/rectangular Standard speedo should fit into the XJ's panel and will work with the drive/cable unit, same front wheel size, same ratios! Also, speedo from XS750 or 850 standard should also work. Happy hunting!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
      Hey Ryan,

That speedo/ebay link was removed! However, IIRC, any square/rectangular Standard speedo should fit into the XJ's panel and will work with the drive/cable unit, same front wheel size, same ratios! Also, speedo from XS750 or 850 standard should also work. Happy hunting!
      T.C.
      It seems like I have the worst luck with that stuff... damnit. haha. At least I know any of those speedo's should work!
      "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Actually, the round speedo is needed for an XJ. Maximan had used a 140 speedo that I had sold him on his XJ.

Comment

Originally posted by John
          Actually, the round speedo is needed for an XJ. Maximan had used a 140 speedo that I had sold him on his XJ.
          Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks John! Now to find another 140 mph (or 160 mph) speedo...

Edited: wait a second... this is the EXACT same speedo that I linked to above (I can tell because of the gasket flaw). Same price and everything. Weird... wonder why it was moved?
          Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-12-2008, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Hey John,

Thanks, my CRS is acting up again. I didn't review his tip, and my brain remembered the square pilot box, and ..oh well!
            I remember you sending him that speedo, but just forgot what style it was!

Ryan, that speedo isn't from a 79 special, cause it only goes to 140, and the xs11's were 160. It'll still work and fit though. I've got a 120 from a 650. The 140's IIRC are from the 750/850's!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
              Ryan, that speedo isn't from a 79 special, cause it only goes to 140, and the xs11's were 160. It'll still work and fit though. I've got a 120 from a 650. The 140's IIRC are from the 750/850's!
              T.C.
              Ah, well, either way it's better than the 85 mph one my bike has now! Thanks for specifying which it is, though. The ebay add is mis-labeled. Hope I win! I can always upgrade to a 160 later.
              Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 01-13-2008, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Looks like maybe Lady Luck might be with me so far. I'm current high bidder on a 160 mph speedo! I've got my fingers crossed!

Comment

I had a 140 from a 750 for a while on mine. It was fine at first, but after a while the difference in the gauge face color started to bub me. However, they are a LOT cheaper to snare than a 160. But, with perseverance, patience, and a sniper program , I finally got a nice 160 at a decent price.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject But, with perseverance, patience, and a sniper program , I finally got a nice 160 at a decent price.
                    That's what I'm worried about with the one I'm bidding on. I'm gonna have to keep a good watch on it and hope my max bid is good enough.

Comment

Hi Gunslinger,
                      the 140mph speedo from an XS650 will fit for sure. (I put one on my XS11SG when the stocker seized up.) Note that the mph speedo works on the Canadian bikes that have metric speedos so the reverse will be true too and thus you can widen your search to include Canadian sources. So if you can multiply by 0.6 as you ride, any year of metric speedo will be OK. The Canadians never did install low range speedos.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I don't remember when it was, but Maximan (Can we still mention his name?? lol) did a big write-up on doing the speedo swap on the XJ. A couple of things to keep in mind:

The trip odometer reset button is in the front dash on the XJ... Shown here by the arrow.

The other round speedos will work, but you'll have to do a little dremmel grinding on the housing to allow for the reset knob on the SIDE of the other gauges. If you look at the pic in the Ebay listing, you'll see it. I don't know what you do with the XJ's push button plastic guts... if they have to be removed because they are in the way of the new gauge, or just left in place. The rubber push button will remain for cosmetic purposes though.

The other thing is... Even with a little bit of aftermarket help, the only time you'll ever get that bike to 140mph is with a heck of a tailwind and headed down a hill. You'll never NEED the 160mph speedo... but I agree that they do look cool.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I am sure there are other programs and plenty of folks who despise people who DO snipe, but let me recommend Auction Sentry. It's not free, but has certainly saved me more than the $14 it costs for the one time only registration. I have been using it for years and it has never failed me. After all, you know the saying, "Don't get mad, get even!"
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Wooo! Just won a 160mph speedo of a '78! Paid something around $45 shipped. Not too bad, I don't think... right?

Comment

Working...
                            X