Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get a replacement hy-vo chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get a replacement hy-vo chain?

Hi all,
    had a hideous rattling in the bottom end of my motor when I backed off the throttle with a few revs on board. Pulled the engine down and found that the hy-vo chain had sooo much deflection that it was jumping teeth on the primary shaft as the back wheel, and therefore, primary shaft tried to "overtake" the crank. Ok, here's the questions:

Has anyone had this problem before? I can't believe that a near enough to two inch wide drive chain could stretch that much!! Am I missing something?

Does anyone know where I can get a new hy-vo chain? I'm having difficuty locating one.

Finally, I've split the cases without having to disturb the top end at all, unfortunately the original hy-vo chain is endless and that means a lot more pulling down and putting back together. Something I'm not really that keen to do. I just want to ride! Has anyone ever split the chain to get it off? Do relacement chains have a removeable pin?

Any help woud be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, Rob.

You can contact me at hollowgraphics@iprimus.com.au

I have heard of 3 different bikes here that have needed a new Hi-VO. chain. Not vey common, but they do fail. Search the old Yahoo list for info, a couple of guys chronicalled their experiences.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

couldnt disagree more gary. the primary chain is one of the xs1100's weak spots most hard ridden high milage xs's i have ever seen(a hell of a lot) either had a new one or needed one.maybe not to the degree of wear above,but certainly backlash. straight cut gears are a better way to do it,old kawas were the same,but old suzis were gear driven
      Last edited by chopper; 01-17-2003, 04:03 PM.
      mick
      xs1.1s(x2)
      gsxr1100(1127)
      gsx1100g(x2)
      trophy900
      bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Got a new chain with the bike.. the old one was stretchec bout an inch. And a link in the middle was missing.
        New one... try yamaha dealers.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I think this is officially called a Primary Chain, I went to www.partsfish.com and looked it up for an 80 Standard. Shown as available for 177.62 US$. I can't help with the part number right now since I am at work, but you will have to go to a Yamaha dealer for this. Since it looks like you are in Australia, I can't recommend anybody. Good Luck.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

chains & bearings

i usually get chaings & bearing from industrial chain & bearing dealers (yellow pages), less cost than a motorcycle dealer.

buzz

Comment

Working...
            X