stiff second gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiff second gear

I have a 79 xs11f,with 41000 miles. Runs good but when you go to shift into second gear you have to put a little more pressure on the shifter than you do to shift into the other gears. And it makes a clunk sound,like the gears are worn down or dont match up,thats 2nd gear only. So i was thinking of pulling the engine this winter,and breaking open the crank case.This bike is not getting any younger,and i might not be able to find the parts later.And i also figured while i have the engine out i might as well rebuild the rest of the engine.Beef it up a little,to say a 12 or 1300cc,sounds like fun don,t it.I also thought i might have the heads ported and polished,and tuned to the new 4 into 1 header i just bought.I already have rebuild kits for the carbs,not sure if i would have to rejet them or not. As you can see i have a lot of work ahead of me. I want to do as much of the work myself,with my little 10 year old son,he would love that and i think it would be a good lesson for him. I need to hook up with someone who knows alot about the 79xs11f,an what i am trying to do.THANKS
    Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Tranny problem is very common on these machines. New gears are (were?) available not too long ago from Zanotti Motors in Butler,PA. Check this site for a link to their page.

As for the repair, also check the tech tips for help on this as it is covered quite extensively there. Also check Ken Talbots page at http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/ as he has a lot of hints and tips, as well as pics of the repair. It is usually possible to make this repair with the engine still in the frame, but if you're going to overhaul the engine anyway, much easier with it out.

Good luck
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
    X