xs 1100 what??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs 1100 what??

2 questions i know someone can help me with. [keep in mind i have no owners manual or repair manual...my usual disclaimer.]
    i have an 1980 midnite special 1100. as i order different parts it asks for different letters after the 1100.. like s, g, h, l , etc. i do not know what this letter is or should be and don't want to order wrong parts. does anyone know??
    my next prob is the turn sigs that don't work. unfortunatly for me i believed the dealer when he handed me an off the shelf generic flasher relay, [which does absolutley nothing] and left my old flasher there. at least the old one clicked and tried to work.
    anyway....i'd like to know what all those numbers were that used to be on my old relay so i can research finding another. any help greatly appreciated.
    thanx....redbone
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Specs

look to the left of this post click on the word specifications when that opens click on serial numbers and that will tell you what you have or post a pic and the members will tell you for sure
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Midnight special in 1980 was an 1100LG

-dm
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Hey Redbone,

IF in fact you have an 80 MNS, then as Danny said it's an 80 LG. The "L" is for MNS, and the "G" is for 80, vs. F for 79, E for 78, H for 81.

Now, for the turn signals. Several things affect their ability to work/flash. Poor grounds is the most common. The light stalks use large washers with the wires attached to them under the securing nut of the mounting stalk, to ground to the frame, but corrosion/rust forms easily especially on the rear signals inside the fender. Disassembly, cleaning helps.

Also, corrosion can form on the contacts for the bulb socket, the wires connected to the socket, etc., same cleaning idea! Also, another diagnostic, the LG has a separate Emergency flasher, the switch is on the BOTTOM of the turn signal switch! IF ALL of the lights work when activated, then it's not necessarily the bulbs/sockets, but the actual turn signal flasher, which is on a separate circuit from the ER flasher.

Finally, IF the generic flasher you got was a 2 prong, then you will want to try plugging it in the 2 different ways it will plug into the signal 3 prong plug. IT should work one of the 2 ways once you know the bulbs/sockets are well grounded. AND that you have checked the fuse holder to verify that the clips are not weak, cracked making poor contact, as well as the fuse itself good!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Redbone,

Engine and frame numbers (same from the factory!) should be ; three-digit code - dash - number.

Those first three digits identify the model; either use the charts, or just post the code (not the number) and someone will confirm what the bike is! Many are wrongly described in adverts.

AlanB
          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

I forgot to mention,

If you'll go to the LINKs Forum, on the first page, you'll find a link to a PDF of a user's manual for the 81H/SH, not exactly the same as the 80LG, but will be very similar that could help!?
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

There are definitely two prong flashers out there that will not work in either of the two possible postions. Before I ordered my replacement flasher, I didn’t have a chance to look at the stock unit and the electronic flasher that I ordered has the 12v-in terminal on the opposite side of the load terminal when compared to the stock flasher. This was easily fixed by running two small wires with male blade connectors on one end and female blade connecters on the other to make a short extension cord. This way, I was able to run the terminals on the flasher to the correct slots on the factory receptacle. After doing this, everything worked perfectly. Might be something else to check.
              1980 XS 1100 Standard
              1980 XS 1100 Special
              1982 XJ 1100
              1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Working...
              X