Not Firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Firing

I have a 1982 yamaha xj 1100 and the plugs will not fire. Ive replaced the coils, pickup,ignition module and the fusebox. Can someone please tell me all the culprits that can cause my plugs not to fire... Can someone also tell me were i might find an ignition switch... thank you

Check out this tip for some info.....http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=769
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Check coil - plug wires with an ohm meter, check pick-ups and coils with the same, replace plugs and check the ballast resistor, if any.

LP

PS: I assume your battery, kill and ignition switches are OK.
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

not firing--

What about something simple like the sidestand switch? Or Neutral switch? Strange but true it has happened....
        just my 2 cents--
        Carolyne
        (drowning in Port Angeles...)

Comment

Actually, my brother and I got very frustrated when we disassembled, cleaned, and reassemblied my XS a while ago...had her down to bare frame in my lap for sanding

But yeah, she wouldn't fire at all, we knew all the parts were good, but she just wouldnt fire...

Come to find out, one little part got put in upside down...it took us several hours and a couple double whoppers at BK to figure out this one. We kept straining our eyes looking for something on the wiring diagram...low and behold:

There is a little black box just past the coils, halfway to the seat I believe. It has a rubber mouting to the frame. If it is in incorrectly or is not connected, your bike will not fire. It is a tip over cutoff switch.
          During dissambly, the rubber part broke and the switch fell out. Naturally, when putting it back in I had no clue to what it was and managed to put it in upside down...lol
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
          X