No announcement yet.

Thinking of selling my '79 XS1100SF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of selling my '79 XS1100SF...

I am not sure about this, but it is starting to look like I might have to sell my XS11

I just got a 60 day notice from my landlord yesterday and it will be hard to find a place to store all my junk, so I will probably have to sell some of it

Looking for input of my asking price should be....

Here are some of the details about the bike...

1979 XS1100SF I think the mileage is about 9568mi

I am the second owner

Just registered

I just replaced the valve seals and the head gasket as the previous owner started to put the big bore kit and never did it leaving the bike half apart. Compression is perfect in all the cylinders at around 180psi.

tires are nice, rear was new 100 mi ago.

carbs have been thoroughly cleaned, new Mikuni float valves installed. The slide diaphragms are in perfect shape soft, pliable, and not even a hint of holes

new fuel lines

New K+N inbox filter

petcocks rebuilt with K+L kits

final drive and middle drive oils changed

new battery

like new original Yamaha seat seat

luggage rack and case guards

decent four-into-one headers also have stock exhaust in OK shape.

rebuilt all brake components, ie calipers and master cylinders. All calipers had near perfect bores!

New EBC front brake pads.

Clutch does NOT slip

Second gear is perfect

ProTaper aluminum handlebars using ProTaper adapters. Very nice looking and very comfortable.

Bike is really clean and rides good. With all the work I just did to it it would be sad to part with.....

what do you guys think a fair price would be?

Here are a couple of pictures

http://picasaweb.google.com/nnestero...57071756716402
    http://picasaweb.google.com/nnestero...57187720833410

thanks for your input in advance

--Nick

Nick,
    The bike looks nice. Your big problem is trying to sell it this time of the year. Even here in San Jose, it's still winter. I would start the asking price around $1750 on craigs list. You can also try the shop down on the El Camino that sells bikes for the owners. They have an indoor showroom, so it will stay clean, and out of the rain.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray, I know it is a tough sell in the winter, but having to move sort of forces the issue. I am hoping I'll find a place with a garage and will not have to sell.

--Nick

Comment

What does a small storage unit go for around there?
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod,
          This is Can'taffordya, and a unit that will hold the bike is about $35 per month. Tack that onto the $1500 or $2000 per month for an apartment, and you can see how the State got it's name.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Parking

You could park it in my garage. Would even ride it now and then to keep everything in shape.......
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Hi Nick,
              Thats a beaut!I'd Like it... I'd have to have it shipped cuz i am here on the right coast...dont know if i could afford it because of the distance...but if I was within a days ride from you then i would by it in heartbeat..BTW I think its worth in the $2000 range
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Re: Parking

I would take you up on that offer if it was closer, I could ride it once in a while too
                that's if you were serious, but San Jose is probably a good six hour drive away.

thanks
                --Nick

Originally posted by planedick
                You could park it in my garage. Would even ride it now and then to keep everything in shape.......

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im
                  Hi Nick,
                  Thats a beaut!I'd Like it...
                  Thanks, it took a lot of work and I feels good to get a compliment

I was almost done getting the way I wanted it. It just needs the rotors drilled, fork brace, and some nice aftermarket shocks!

--Nick

Comment

6 hours away is better than parting with it! I have MaximPhil's bike in my garage right now. It doesn't take up much room, each much, or poop on the carpet.

Nice looking bike!
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

It doesn't take up much room, each much, or poop on the carpet.
                      Wish I could say the same about most people I know.
                      Nice bike, Somesuch.
                      Shame, really.
                      I agree with Ray.
                      These bikes don't really have that great of a resale value, but considering the work you've done, and the terrific shape it's in, I think Ray's estimate is about right, maybe a little high. Some of these sell for around $1,000/$1,200...though most bring less. (I've got four, the expensive full dressed one cost $750, so you see what I mean)
                      If you can get more, obviously....
                      But like he stated, you have the season working against you right now.
                      If need be, might even be wise to store for a few months and then sell if it's still needed.
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Hey- WOW!, that thing is freakin sweet! If it had the original grab rail on the back, (insted of the luggage rack) it would be perfect.
                        Don't sell it, you will really hate yourself if you do, you don't want to carry that kinda emotional baggage around with you for the rest of your life. Trust me.

Nice bike man...

Comment

Arrrugggghhhhhhh!!!! Don't sell it!!! You will be sorry!!! Come on, even in Kalifornia apartments hafta have parking. Buy a good cover, get an apartment with a view of the parking lot and be happy. Remember, gas is gonna get higher!!!
                          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Thank you all for encouragement, I'll try to find someplace to store it. When I was working on the bike, I had grand ideas of how my one-year-old son was going to enjoy it one day

Happy New Year to all

--Nick

Comment

Yes - a storage unit for $35 +/- would allow you to keep it even if its for the time needed to find another apt./ house.

Just sold my '82 XJ11 for $1550 and it wasn't as nice as your Special ... $ was almost 100% of what I had in it ... blind luck!

Rob
                              79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Comment

Working...
                              X