Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Plate Removal 2 - Pictoral Guide

XSives -

Sometimes the XS11 Vacuum Advance & Centrifugal Advance reacts slowly or not at all. This is often a neglected maint. area.

Here are some Pics / slides useful ? for removing and servicing the XS11's Timing & Advance Plate and its internals; vacuum canister, an all-too-often; dirty / rusty advance mechanism, springs etc. 1979 XS11 Standard is the subject example.

This is not the last word on How-To to do this procedure. These pics are offered as a general guide since the Yamaha Factory Manual has almost no detailed info (no pics) on this vital service area.

One detail: the XS11's crankshaft rotates in a clockwise direction (looking from the bike's left side). When removing the gray, marked timing plate the center retaining allen bolt turns - loosens to your left.

Its been suggested to set the crank & timing plate at TDC. I use a flashlight to peek thru #1 cyl. sparkplug hole, at the piston top, at Top Dead Center, in order to confirm this before doing any timing adv work.

As one member has suggested: mark the relative (that is, the factory installed) position of the crank trigger to the other adv components before removal so that it will be re-installed in the same axis. If the trigger is installed facing downwards, "the engine will fire 180 degrees out-of-phase with lots of popping."

I've found taking notes has been helpful as well as being careful to put the wires, screws & retainers back in their exact original positions. There should be no need to disturb the large cast aluminum housing ring that receives the Adv Mechanism (the movable brass-plated assembly with its 2 pickup coils).

Feel free to copy the slides & to add any tech tips you have found helpful.

A Happy Owner rides a Well-Tuned Bike,

Rob
    79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Governor Assy - Advance Mechanism gif

Here's an oem drawing of the entire XS11 Governor Assembly - exploded view.

image courtesy of Yamaha Motor Co USA
    79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Comment

you guys are awesome and a little psychic !
      I'm just about to strip and re-do the wiring harness for the pickup coils ('cos I think it's rubbish) and was wondering whta I needed to be careful of and what else I might do at the same time - since Aunty Haynes can be a little vague on some points.

Perfetc timing (no pun intended)

Thanks
      Si
      Si Parker
      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Working...
      X