Cam chain master link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain master link

Has anyone tried the standard master link with the removable clip for easy installation? I have to change heads and I would like to install the new one with the cams already in which means breaking the cam chain and I would rather put in a removable master link as apposed to the peened pin type.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Unless you are sure the old chain is not stretched, you would probably want to put in a new chain anyways. If the old chain is okay, and if it was me, I would remove the cams on the new head, keeping all the shims and buckets in their correct places. Then you just install the head, pull up the chain, and slip in the new cams. No need to break the chain.

YMMV
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hi Planedick,

Take care with the links; there are two versions of the chain; (I think they are different brands) The pitch and widths are (obviously!) identical, but the pin diameter on the link is slightly different; You need the right one!

I have not tried a spring-link in an XS, but we used to race a Jota; they have a clip-type link as stock......even on the factory racers, and they don't have problems.

AlanB

Just a thought; I don't know if the Jota went to the States?..... it was a 1000cc Laverda triple in "production Race" spec..... High comp pistons, lumpy cams, "Less restrictive" silencers (Loudencers?), clubman bars, low seat, rearsets, etc........

Contemporary to the XS11; I think I have a back-to back road-test in a old magazine somewhere; Kept it 'cos back then I wanted the Italian! ('79...I was 18!....I have learned better!)
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Yes they had the Laverda Jota imported here, but unlike in England where they prononuce it Jota with a J, out here they say He-ota. I said Jota once and people cracked up like I was a moron.
        1979 XS 1100 Standard (project)
        1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
        1995 GSXR750 Streetfighter (project)
        1978 XS 1100 E (Sold) Owner for 19 years

Comment

I did mine about 3 months ago and couldn't find / order one with the spring link. My local dealer said they don't make them anymore as cam chains as there is too much of a risk of failure.
          I used the one they got for me with the link that has to have the pins flattenned (there's probably a proper name for that but it escapes me right now), so far no problems but then we have winter now and she's pulled apart.
          Si Parker
          '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

.".... proper name for that but it escapes ... "

I think the term is "peen" ... as in ball-peen hammer.
            80G Mini-bagger
            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

thank you.................. woulda driven me mad (madder?)
              Si Parker
              '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AlanB
                [B]

Just a thought; I don't know if the Jota went to the States?..... it was a 1000cc Laverda triple in "production Race" spec..... High comp pistons, lumpy cams, "Less restrictive" silencers (Loudencers?), clubman bars, low seat, rearsets, etc........

Don't wanna jack the camchain thread but here goes anyway. The Jota did make it to the US and my garage!! I had three Laverdas. 750sf, 1000 "standard" and the 1000 Jota.It was during a long stint at the Laverda shop I was exposed to the XS as a loaner bike. The Jota, for its time, was a missle. Kinda slow outa the hole but for the most part, uncatchable once things got rolling. Lumpy cams is an understatement as is the term "less restrictive" silencers. I ran with a bunch of guys who owned "european" bikes. Desmo Ducatis, Lemans Guzzis and some warmed up Beemers and a sprinkle of "cafe racer" jap rigs, mostly KZ1000's. In the group, the Desmo SS Ducati's was the only rig that would run close to the Jotas. They handled very well,
                had excellent brakes and a idle that would shake you fillings loose. They are all history now. But I do have my trusy XS still. I guess the best bike won out!!
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                X