hi, new, and a couple quick questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi, new, and a couple quick questions

eh gents, just picked up an 1100 yesturday, and got a couple quick questions. I'm sure they can all be answered taking 2 hours and searching all the threads, but i'm sure someone doesnt mind just giving me 30 seconds and shooting me some insite.
    I'm not much of a mechanic, hell, I"m a noob rider, last season was my first season, bought a 400 dollar 90 katana that maybe ran 5 days the whole season (first did clutch, then first hour riding, throttle cable broke, etc.. etc.., thing sat for 13 years, so everytime i fixed one thing, something else happened... lol). Bought a cheap xs-400 for a hundred bucks, needed a stator. Put 125 bucks in ebay accesories on it to change the look and make it decent, dropped the rear and cut 5 springs out the shocks, solo seat, highway bars, handlebars, side bracket, $5 can of truck paint, white wall tire paint, etc.. etc.., first time ever modding a bike, not bad for a noob and just over 200 in total. I want to do the same for the xs-1100 i just got for 300.
    Other then some rust on the headers, the bike condition is almost mint. at 36k she looks nice. Pulled the dressing off first thing. I want to drop the rear and use fender struts to make her a hardtail. But my buddy said I may have problems with the shaft drive and the angle??? is that an issue??? I see lots of pics on the net of shaft drive bikes dropped, anything special I have to do??? I'm just gona pull the shocks, put a 3/8 shim on the back tire and let the fender drop right on it, and throw some fender struts on, then move fender forward for a clean look.
    Also, when unloading the bike, i notice that the rear end is stiff. Meaning that in neutral she doesnt roll easy, very tight. is that a warning of a problem with the shaft? or rear bearings from sitting? Also the gasket on the oil filter is shot and she pisses oil from the seal, just some silicone?? didnt see any gaskets or anything on ebay so I assume they dont make em anymore?.

Thanks guys, much appreciated, It's a 79 std, I want to put a tank from an 81 special on it, drop the rear, paint her black with red dressing on the rims, with whitewalls, and a solo seat. Throw a fancy hundred dollar headlight on, call it done and ride. Let me know if you think i'll have problems with the shaft when lowering, and what the probobly culprit is for the stiff rear thats hard to roll. I'll get to know everyone better later, would like to have ideas of problems as I go out now to work on that oil leak, perhaps I can have some answers when I come back in. Much appreciated.
    Eric

(thats what I did with the xs-400 I got for a hundred, put 125 into it in looks, want something similiar from the 1100, planning on spending no more then 250 on it)

Hey there Eric,

Well, I can't answer your driveshaft solid rear question, but like you said, have seen it done in pictures, so as long as it's not too much of an angle for the U-joint, I don't particularly see a problem. The hard rolling problem is probably more due to the rear brake discs dragging, and once you remove them it'll probably roll much easier, will need to do that to properly clean and rebuild them anyways.

I know you put the model/year in this thread, but if you'll edit your profile to include it there instead of just XS1100, OR put it in your signature, that way when you post further questions, WE won't have to ask, since tech suggestions are quite often model specific!

There are many tech tips in several FORUMS, so it won't take quite as long for reviewing vs. doing a SEARCH in the Actual posting FORUMS, like this one about what to look for in a neglected XS11 that's buried in the MISC tips!!!

The oil filter DOES use a rubber o-ring seal that is provided with most oil filters you can get for it. The old one has just flattened with age/heat! No sealant is required when installing new one, but some times they are bent, so soak in hot water a while first to help to get it to lay flat, and then you can also use some thicker grease in the groove to keep it in place until you get it tightened back up. DON'T Throw out your filter metal washer, it stick to the filter, you'll need it with the spring to properly fit the new filter!!

The XS11 is a much more powerful machine than your 400, and you would be taking a serious and I feel dangerous course and performance/handling loss making it a hardtail!!! But it's your bike and your skin!

As for your tank swap, you'll need to get the petcocks with it, since they won't swap between special and standard tanks. You should be able to find several members on here willing to trade you since the Standard tank is larger/more capacity and sought more than the Special!

The 11 is a fairly bulletproof design, very durable engine, but it does require some knowledge to get it tuned properly, the carbs being one of the biggest, and then the electrical connections and fuseblock a close second. The engine can be easily damaged if you attempt to perform certain maintainance steps without knowing the proper technique and order, like the cam chain tensioner, the clutch lever at engine adjustment, etc., so WE highly suggest you INVEST the time and read the tech tips BEFORE working on the bike much!! The engine has 3 separate oil chambers, the main engine oil, standard 20-50 weight range-full synth NOT suggested, but then there's a middle gear section, and a final gear/wheel section both taking 80-90 hypoid gear oil, Full synth okay here!

There's an owner's manual in the LINKS section for an 81H/SH in PDF format about 6MB that you can D/L, the engine components are very similar, so it will still give you much needed info even though yours is a 79, IF you don't have ANY manual at all!?
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks topcat, I checked the rear brakes first and could hear dragging lower like in the axle or final shaft, no biggie now that i've actually takin the time to look over things, I can grab what I need on ebay cheap ya know. Thanks for the hint on the tank, i'll keep in mind to get fuel cocks for it too. Yea, the 1100 is the biggest i've been on yet, but my experience isnt limited to the xs-400, also got a katana and an old 78 gs-750 I'm making into a cafe (just a simple cafe seat and clubman bars). Much appreciated on the reply.

Comment

When you say you have a quick question that limits you to 5 words or less. Not a book.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

You shouldn't have a problem with the shaft drive. There is u-joint just aft of the middle drive that should accommodate your lowering angle.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Oil filter adapter

Welcome to the site! I like the direction your taking her You might want to check out Top Cats oil filter modifications.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=14704

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=5095

Dave
            Dave
            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

'Interesting planter hangin' on the fence."

(I had to write something... T.C. wrote all the good stuff)
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
              X