Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Advance Unit - any PICS / Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tucman,

You don't need any "special" tools to check the valve clearances, just a standard feeler gauge set. To swap any shims which are needed, you do get a special tool to slip 'em in, but if a few are needed, I generally pull the cams to change 'em.

Tools needed; one 10mm spanner!

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

runs better now ... checked vacuum

T.C. - I've run the leak checks mentioned; sprayed carb cleaner on all boots, joints, caps etc. with no increase in idle speed. Installed 2 new vac lines to petcocks. Spread RTV on #1 carb boot to seal small [non-leaking?] surface cracks.

Timing is right dead on. Tower jets are brand new. Engine now starts within 1/2 to 3/4 revolution at full choke when cold & quickly settles into a satisfying hum.

At normal temp:
      Backed idle screws out another 3/4 - 1 full turn & finally got decent pulling power from a stop - no more coaxing or big faltering.

Dials showed cyls 3 & 4 getting slightly less vacuum than cyls 1 & 2 so I made the necessary adjustments. #3 still reads a bit lower vac which may be due to improper valve clearance. Now warm idle is real smooth @ 1050 rpm with even impulses.

On the road again:
      Engine now transitions to 3500+ rpm with good pulling power. However, there's still a slight stumble right at 1500-1700 rpm using normal commuter throttle from a full stop. Rolling turns in 1st & 2nd gear have less attendant carb v.s. throttle drama.

Hit 70 mph with no coughing or misfire at full throttle. Engine has a lot of grunt @ 3500 - 5000 rpm. Ran some short sprints with no ill effects other than the typical clunks from a slow-shifting (but unmolested) gearbox. Another 1/4 - 1/2 turn out on the pilot screws will probably get all the low speed smoothness the carbs have left to give.

Getting better!
      Rob
      79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Comment

Hey Rob,

Sounds like you're getting it sorted out, but I'm surprised to hear you having to put so many turns out of the pilot jet screw with stock air box and exhaust?? It's been stated that if you are at 3 or more turns out, that you either have too small of pilot jets, OR your float height might be a tad too high(upside down), making it too lean, hence the extra turns to richen up the pilot circuit!?

I realize tuning is a PITA and suggesting pulling the carbs to raise the fuel level isn't high on your list, so you'll have to decide whether being close to 3+ turns out of the pilot screw is acceptable. As for a stumble at 1500-1700 rpm, I can't comment cause I never run that low an engine speed once I get moving, usually at least 2k and above, even for roll ons from dead stop!
        I reserve that low rpm range for engine braking!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

it works ...

T.C.

Egads - you're all Geniuii (AZ cowboy plural of genius) ... it worked! 2:00 pm made a last 1/2 turn out of pilot screws and away we went. After a longish warmup there were no more low-speed stumbles. The Big Toucan is now resplendent in his best blue and silver xsive glory.

I was giggling as we flew about scattering leaves and leaving fearful looks from cringing cagers in our wake. Trolling low parking lot speeds make no neverminds to the big bird.

Bike starts with a mere touch of the button, idles beautifully and glides as smooth as silk down the boulevard.

A real red letter day.

Thinking of running a 1/2 can of Seafoam thru the tank to get any leftover fuel crud. There's no metal parts left in the carbs (all is now new brass). Will diluted Seafoam hurt the fuel system?

Happy New Year, Rob

Comment

hi Rob,

Happy for you!

AlanB!
            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

#3 still reads a bit lower vac
              matters not other issues...
              Adjust #3 to #4, then #1 to #2,
              then two to four...
              all need to read same.

can sync em even if you have a vac leak or valve issue.
              May not run right but should still be able to sync em (at idle).
              Just turning out (or in) the pilot(s) is not tuning em.

Can take about 10 minuets, so place a good size fan blowing across front of engine.
              After syncing the carbs, reset idle as low as bike will run smoothly(normally about 900 RPM)
              Do one pilot adjustment at a time. Turn it out till engine RPM falters...stop...turn back till it does same (count # of turns including partial turns) Set that pilot half way between the two.

Keep idle low and repeat with rest of carbs..
              Re-set vac sync then test ride.

mro

Comment

Hey Rob,

About a 1/4 can would/should be sufficient, one can is designed for an 18-20 gallon tank!! Just hope you have inline fuel filters to catch any crud loosened!! Congrats on getting it finally tuned and running to your liking!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

box is full!

Sent you a PM Sid,,,,,,but your full.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Re: box is full!

I resemble that remark!

Originally posted by motoman
                    Sent you a PM Sid,,,,,,but your full.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Nemo

Here's a pic of our newly resurrected Nemo.

Tucson temp today: 70 degrees

Comment

Working...
                      X