Major Problems with my XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Problems with my XJ1100

Hello to all. Im Ryan and actually posting for my father Dave as im the one who does all the matenence on our motorcycles. While in hibernation mode i decided to start all the motorcycles to strech them out. I rebuilt the petcocks on my fathers XJ1100. when i started the bike and ran it for a while here are some of the things i noticed. Keep note that none of these problems where present in the fall.

Airbox was flooding with gas and it was leaking everywhere.

The exhaust is crossed over so it goes Cyl. 1 and 3 are collected over the right side and 2 and 4 are collected over the left side. On the RIGHT side exsuast it seemed to be spewing out a combination of Fuel and Oil. and alot of it.

Plus i know it has an oil leak around the oil pan.

Theres also a Red Flashing Warning Light that constantly stays on when the bike is running.

Can anyone here help me, i do have a video of the bike running while it is doing this if it helps. Thank you!!!

Ryan

One or more of the float needles is/are not seated and you are low on oil or the rear lights are unplugged from the harness under the seat.
    79 XS11 special

Comment

Flashing warning light....

There are several reasons why this light flashes. You should also be getting some type of warning indicator inside the LED display. For example, if the BAT light is on then the warning is low fluid in the battery, if Brake is on then there is a low fluid level in either the front or rear brake master cylinder. In short, if you can give us a bit more information, flashing light plus LED read-out, it would be easier to see which system is causing the problem.

The XJ's have a bit of a reputation for a false alarm when the weather gets cold due to the oil level sensor. Unlike the XS, the XJ does not use an oil pressure switch; there is a float assembly inside the oil pan that monitors the oil level. Over the years this sensor seems to get 'sticky' and reports low oil when the oil is cold even if there is enough oil in the pan. My XJ will run for a few miles (3 - 5 is typical) before the light will go out. My guess is that the little openings into sensor get clogged and cold oil does not flow in correctly, making the sensor read as if you are out of oil. If this is the case, the "Oil" indicator in the LED panel will be on as well as the flashing or steady red warning light. Cure is to go to a lighter oil, replace the sensor, or just make sure you have enough oil and wait till the bike warms up and the sensor functions correctly. Last time I checked on the sensor it was still available from Yamaha, price was in the mid-$60 range.

On the carbs, you have a float that is sticking open causing raw gas to get into the engine. The XJ petcocks have an Off position, turn both sides off when the bike is sitting. Check past threads for octopus rebuild or petcock rebuild; this is a common maintenance task for those XS11s and XJs that are equipped with the vacuum-shutoff system. However, the main problem wil be the inlet needles and seats in the carbs, as these are the final gatways that let gas into the carbs.

If you suspect gas has gotten into the oil, change oil and filter before you run the bike again.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

If you have fuel spraying out of the exhaust, that means the affected cylinder is flooded with fuel. Most likely, it also got past the rings down into the case. Like Jerry said, you'll need to change your oil after you fix the flooding carb issue.
        Probably not fuel and oil coming out the exhaust. Just fuel, and the old sooty carbon in the pipes that has been "washed" off.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
        X