Midnight "gold" parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight "gold" parts

Do some of you know how to make the "gold" parts on a midnight special look nice again? Maybe a bit expensive to cover them with real gold?
    TERJE

`79SF
    `80SG x 2
    `80LG x 2
    `81SH
    `82XJ1100J
    `83CB1000 CUSTOM
    `79WIFE

gold parts

That subject was discussed a while ago but I can't remember by who. I think it was in the tech tips section if I'm not mistaken.
    Maybe you can search for the topic?
    79 SF

Comment

See if you have a local guy that does the "gold" plating for car dealers. This would be the guy that plates the emblems on cars. There also are contacts thru the web that will plate your parts (the ones on the bike, geezzzzzz ). Make sure he understands what you want done and how "exclusive" alot of the parts you want plated are.
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

If I remember the original magazine articles correctly Yamaha spent a lot of time and money developing the black and gold for the midnights ,so they wouldn't fade, maybe they didn't expect them to last this long You might be able to order the paint from Yamaha.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

Do Gold Chrome. Gold plating will oxidize quickly. Looks the same and no clearcoat needed. I found a guy in Houston who does both with a little internet searching. He's also the one that showed me that the midnight's are black powdercoated, not "black chrome" as many of us thought.
          Furthermore, I still don't know how Yamaha did the pipes. They are Not powdercoated, but are also not bluish like black chrome.
          Last edited by dragxs11; 12-29-2007, 11:23 AM.
          1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
          1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
          1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
          2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
          2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

www.atlaschrome.com
            1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
            1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
            1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
            2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
            2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike