Did the Octypus die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Octypus die?

I've been running my Special all summer and fall and now with winter it's been garaged and run just about every week. I went to start it yesterday and to my dismay I've got just a small puddle of fuel on the floor. I have never turned the fuel petcocks off since I've owned the bike. (I bought it new in 1979) and I have never had a problem. It looks like the carb on the riight inside was leaking, seeping as it was wet on the bottom of the bowl. Could it be that the illfamed octypus has died? Is that the vacuum that keeps the fuel from leaking when the engine is stopped? I've checked the obvious and didn't find any fuel lines leaking. I turned the petcocks off and ran the engine until it was out of gas. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Mooseman
    79 SF

You're gonna need to check the octy, and then check your petcock, and then check the float needle and seats.

You'll need to check all 3, you'll find problems with all....I promise!
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Comment

I've still yet to figure out how most leaks can be caused by anything else but a non seated float needle. I have my petcock hooked up directly to my carbs with no octy. And I don't turn them off. I finally solved continuous float needle leaks with inline filters. Previously I was carb cleaning once every two weeks.

But back to my point, if your leak is coming from a carb it's probaly gas overflowing in the bowl and leaking out the passages into the air intake side of the carb. And of course that's from the needle not seating for some reason.

The PO of my bike re-built the petcocks several times trying to solve the leaking. What I've figured out is the tank if really dirty. So not long after cleaning the carbs they would be dirty again. Of course now I just check the inline filters and blow carb cleaner through them instead.
      Last edited by stoked; 12-25-2007, 10:20 PM.
      79 XS11 special

Comment

79's use the metal float valve/needle.
        Can just be worn and needs to be replaced and the seat polished or replaced.
        Can all so be from debre from the tank or if you have old fuel lines can be bits of rubber from them getting to the seat/valve.

When you get fuel out of the carb when sitting has to go past one or more of em. Generaly to get a puddle below the bike the petcock and vacuum valve are leaking too.

Can also be caused from a stuck float.

mro

Comment

my bike always leaks gas if i leave the petcocks on RUN.
          1979 Eleven Special - 26,000 miles.

Comment

-Born in 1988. Its feels great to be young-

Don't rub it in...
            and fix your carbs.

mro

Comment

My octopus valve was leaking. I chose to buy a new one rather than bypass it. It's a backup for the needles & seats that should stop the flow by themselves.

If your cocks are positioned to "off", I would expect to find the cocks leaking, the octy leaking, and at least one needle/seat leaking in order to have fuel on the floor.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Working...
              X