No announcement yet.

Hope this isn't that bad....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok. I guess I was missing something. I thought for some reason the threaded stud stayed in place and the barrel nut took care of holding it down. Went right past me somehow. Might as well replace them all like you said. So what are the specs on these bolts (length, thread, etc.). Will I need a lock washer with them? Since my PO did just enough to keep it on the road there are lots of things not exactly original on the bike so I have to solve these mysteries as I go along.
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

Hey Manshack,

They are 8mm size, and should be 1.25mm pitch according to info I found in some searches. I went to the local hardware store a good while back, and bought some SS bolts, but then read a warning from Dan Hodges(experienced race car builder) about NOT using SS bolts or studs for head exhaust bolts/studs due to the thermal/chemical welding that occurs between the SS bolts and the aluminum head!

The OEM nuts do not use lock washers. I got flat washers to use with the bolts, cause once the exhaust is secured and bolts tightened, the heat usually locks the nuts in place. But I have also had one vibrate loose and OFF during a rally, had to get a nut from autostore to fix it!

The PO of the basket case that I have not done much work on had already pulled the studs from the head.

Looks like I may go back and get some regular steel hex head bolts instead of the SS ones, so that I could use some mild blue threadlock. Others may say to use ANTISEIZE, since steel can also develop chemical bonding to aluminum.....IIRC!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, the 8mm is the size of the head right? How long over all does the bolt need to be? I'm not sure how deep that hole is.

Comment

OEM Flange nuts

I run across a couple of header nuts and studs today. The studs are short and from a Special, and the nuts are OEM. Ya want 'em?

Comment

Hey Shack,

8mm is the diameter of the threaded part!! The length will depend on the type of exhaust, the flanges and their distance from the head. You'll want to do some measuring, how deep into the head the bolt can go, how far out it needs to protrude to reach the header flange, etc.!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

John, hold 'em for me for a little bit. I just need one to get the job done so I'll try local first so I can get the bike on the road by Sunday. If that doesn't pan out I'll get a few bucks for shipping to you ASAP.

TC, Thanks for the info. I'll get that stud out of there and use it as a guide when I go to the parts store.

Comment

Here's what they looked last night after my exhaust clanged to the floor:

Where I marked the stud 'A' is my problem. Concurrent with the theory that the bike had been dropped badly, it would appear that stud had been knocked off completly somehow and a replacement either welded or JB'd in it's place. I know the angle looks funny in the pic but it's straight, trust me. Shouldn't they all look like 'B'?

Also, 1 & 4 are wet on the inside while 2 & 3 look fine. Probably because everything is out of whack on the carbs from me "wrenching" on them. Maybe after the sync it will be better.

Also found that my welder skipped fixing the #2 header pipe where the clamp came off. Words will be had over this issue.

So, it looks like I'm stuck with stock barrel nuts on 'A' stud on #4. But I should be able to swap one of the barrel nuts on 2 with it and get one of those bolts we mentioned earlier to take it's place.

Comment

Before you get too awefully deep into this thing, and do a fix on that stud that may or may not work, requiring another teardown, just remember that a good used head isn't all that expensive. That stud has to hold up to a lot of pressure, heat, and vibration.

As Pro stated earlier, if it ever starts leaking, those exhaust gasses can cut through the metal. Maybe it will be on the head, and maybe on the header where it wouldn't seal again even with a good head. A good set of headers will usually run more than a head?!?

If you think you can fix the stud... great! But if it's pretty iffy, you may shop around a bit and get a good deal on a used one.

Just something else to consider.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

just a note...have been searching ebay and they do have the valve cover gasket on sale for $12 and if u want the cam chain is $25.....good luck on your project
                    rebel devil
                    1979 xs 1100f standard
                    authenic historical vehicle
                    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                    '96 venture cct.....installed!
                    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Update Time

Ok, I finally got the exhaust put back on it and took a little test drive. No more leaks from the header gaskets so that's positive. I even pulled the plugs when I got back and 1-3 are great looking. #4 isn't all that great looking. It looked half fouled by gas and half burning right. I decided to go ahead and move into the next stage and try to sync those carbs up. I finally built that DIY carb stick and it looks great but after getting the bike warmed up it just started pulling the ATF fluid into number one. 2 rose up, 3 fell down and 4 pulled up. It just seemed like #1 was the worst though. It ended up sucking some in before I could hit the switch so I have to burn that off before doing anything else. I guess my bench sync didn't go so well, eh?

So my question is, if #1 is pulling that hard, which way do I have to turn the screw to bring it back down?

Comment

I need a tech day

I can't even remember what all i've done since my last post. main things are changing the oil because of a stuck float spilling gas down into the crankcase and making the bike leave a trail of smoke behind it. Oil's changed so i'm back to trying to sync my carbs. I'm using a diy version with the tubes and ATF fluid. Seems no matter what I do it wants to pull that fluid up into the intake. It may be better for me to build the vaccuum gauge version with the pvc tube until I can figure out what's going on. The again, i do remember a rider from the college station area who said once that if I got it running him and another fella from over there might drive on down one weekend. with that said i may have to start a little contest. I'm calling my carbs un-syncable. if you can sync them I will provide an all you can eat bbq and beer buffet. any takers?

Comment

Is that offer open to anyone, I've been known to travel great distances for good ribs, even went to Georgia a time or two .
                          Fastmover
                          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                          lion". SHL
                          78 XS1100e

Comment

You bet!

Hey, if you come down that kind of distance I'll go around and get ribs from every place in town so that not only do you get an all you can eat, it can be a taste testing event too!

I'm thinking of posting this little offer as a separate thread just to get some more attention to it. I'm sure there are those who have grown tired of me whining about my carbs and subsequently stopped reading my thread.

Comment

Holy Cow!!

I just realized where you were. google maps indicates a distance of 2416 miles! These ribs better be damn good. that's 2 iron butt rides back to back!!

Comment

Working...
                              X