Anybody Know this Bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Know this Bike?

While I was searching for some parts on ebay...I came across this item...a 1978 XS1100E With a full Yamaha fairing and lowers...item number 230203545471.What do you think this is worth?I am bidding on it....
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Nice looking rig

Hey Mad,

I wouldn't be surprised if it went for $2,500.00!

Of course, to other than XSives, I'm not sure they would see the value in it, and bid way low.

If you get it for less than $2,500.00, then you did well, providing it runs.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

greg
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Greg,
      Thanks for the feed back...I dont knoow if i will get it...I know I could problably outbid any one else for it...but its in Chicago and i'd have to ship it to NJ...and its a big ticket item to have to buy being seen only on ebay..alot of risk factor...they state it runs rough and needs carb work...when I asked the eller abt the xnsmission and if it needs the 2nd-5th gear fix they claim they dont know as the bike was bought by this guy for his girlfriend and she was only a beginner and so the bike was too much for her...yada yada......so they never rode it except maybe the boyfriend didi a little back during the Fall...??I dont know if it is such a good idea buy items like this on ebay....
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I am represtenting to eBay bidders what the previous seller indicated in the copy above when I purchased it.
        Pretty nice looking 11...
        Why is he selling if he just bought it?
        Does it sound a little like he found something he does NOT like about the bike?

mro

Comment

As much as I like the look of this bike unfortunately thats abt all I have to go on...that and my gut instinct...my heart says oooooooohhhh I want that but the brain is saying ...whoa...hold on a minute ......In all the years I have bought bikes and cars ,I nvr once did so from an online auction...it was always up close and personal...which is why I am having some difficulty deciding what to do?
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by mro

Pretty nice looking 11...
            Why is he selling if he just bought it?
            Does it sound a little like he found something he does NOT like about the bike?

mro
            Ok now I am really getting a little leery of this deal....maybe he just bought it really cheap and is just trying to make a quick buck on it.Since this person cannot assure me anything further than what the other owner said in the "original" ad I have to conclude that I dont have enough or all the factors necessary in order to make a sound decision on whether to buy or not....hence I'd rather err on the side of caution and void this sale....so to say...gut instinct now smells a rat.....
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

"I wouldn't get it"

Sure, it looks nice, etc.
              Can't hear it run.
              Can't give it the up-close and personal inspection.
              Shipping cost will be several hundred bucks.
              Suppose there's something wrong with it?
              A thousand bucks is an interesting amount to pay for something that you haven't seen in person and test ridden.
              I'm sure there are other (local) bikes in your area that pop up occassionally for sale.
              I would pass on this one just for the distance and uncertainty involved.
              Unless you feel that you have extra money to throw around... and in that case, if you throw some my way, I'll change my opinion about this deal for you.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Notice that the seller is selling an Indian a Suzuki as well as the SX11. It looks as if He/She is a dealer in items such as reselling cars and motorcycles. "Cavet Emptor"

Comment

Re: "I wouldn't get it"

Originally posted by prometheus578
                  Sure, it looks nice, etc.
                  Can't hear it run.
                  Can't give it the up-close and personal inspection.
                  Shipping cost will be several hundred bucks.
                  Suppose there's something wrong with it?
                  A thousand bucks is an interesting amount to pay for something that you haven't seen in person and test ridden.
                  I'm sure there are other (local) bikes in your area that pop up occassionally for sale.
                  I would pass on this one just for the distance and uncertainty involved.
                  Unless you feel that you have extra money to throw around... and in that case, if you throw some my way, I'll change my opinion about this deal for you.
                  Prom;LMAO...well I was not born yesterday and I am not that gullable so to say...at any rate i cancelled my bid...end of story.As for whether or not I have money to throw around ...no I dont have any to throw around but i do have some to spend...hopefully on a wise buy...Thanks for your opinion and humor too.Merry Christmas to you and everyone else here at Channel Eleven
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

feedbacks looks good so does the bike, heck it looks better than 75% of the bikes here
                    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                    History
                    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                    79 yamaha xs1100f
                    03 honda cbr 600 f4
                    91 yamaha fzr 600
                    84 yamaha fj 1100
                    82 yamaha seca 750
                    87 yamaha fazer
                    86 yamaha maxim x
                    82 yamaha vision
                    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by mason79
                      feedbacks looks good so does the bike, heck it looks better than 75% of the bikes here
                      True but the seller is not the true owner and only "knows"what the previous seller's ad states.But hotdamn if isnt a really fine looking machine.As I stated earlier..since i cant get all the facts that i would like in order to make an intelligent decision abt...to buy or not?I have decided that its not worth the risk.Suppose it is in need of the xnsmission fix?Too many unanswered ????s' Caveat Emptor!
                      Last edited by madmax-im; 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM.
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I was looking at this bike the other day. I have been looking for a bike for my dad and this one is local so I figured I would keep an eye on the auction. I did a search on the phone number and it appears to be for a Joseph Bortz. I remembered hearing the name before and it turns out that he has a pretty extensive collection of concept cars that I have seen at the Chicago Auto Show. I don't really know what effect this would have on whether or not to buy, but I thought it was kind of interesting.
                        1980 XS 1100 Standard
                        1980 XS 1100 Special
                        1982 XJ 1100
                        1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

i've bought 3 cars and 1 motorcycle from ebay on separate occasions. i had 1 car and the motorcycle (xj1100) shipped, flew to georgia for another car and drove it back, and the 3rd car ended up being only 3 miles from me.

i had a terrible experience with the first car i shipped, but that was with the shipping company, not the ebay seller. i've never been disappointed with any of the vehicles i bought on ebay. the key to buying on ebay is to be sure they include LOTS of pictures and LOTS of information in the ad. if it's questionable, and it seems like this bike is, then don't get it unless you're ok fixing whatever you might find wrong with it.
                          http://www.henryism.com

Comment

Well, I did buy it. I drove to the guys storage area to pick it up on Wednesday - It is a GEM! I met the wife who the bike was for, and the story is true; she has only been riding for 1 season on a Honda 185, and when she tried to sit on the bike she could barely touch the ground, let alone hold it up. The gentleman/investor is the car guy mentioned previously and if I had his money & bike collection, I would throw mine away. He has just started collecting investment bikes, and really is not very in tune with the market yet (or motorcycles for that matter - he is a newbe), but let me say he has a VERY good advisor. He should have kept the 1100 for his collection, but it was probably well below his radar.

Mechanically the carbs need cleaned, but that is all. The bike probably saw more bad weather on my trailer for the 350 mile drive home than it ever saw up to that point. The tank has been Kreem'ed, the pipes are wrong, the handlebars are from a "Special," the seat is a bucket style, front brake lines are steel braided, and the bags are not genuine Yam; otherwise I couldn't be happier! Plan is to clean off the touring bits & accessories, (exhaust system & seat especially), and have the nicest un-restored barebike stocker in town. It would almost be a shame to ride it, but there is no way I will keep it hidden.

It IS scary to buy a bike off of eBay or just from pictures; the cheapest restoration is done with a camera. I would never, and have never, pre-paid for a vehicle I haven't seen in person or without a trusted opinion, and suggest everyone else do the same. This is the 4th motorcycle I have bought off eBay, and have been quite lucky; so far I have brought them all home :-).

In the future, if anyone needs a motorcycle inspected in the Upper Midwest area, feel free to give me a call; I am a rider, racer, mechanic, restorer, and lifelong enthusiast, who has lived and breathed motorcycles of all origins for over 40 years, and can produce a comprehensive professional report for a very reasonable donation!

Cheers,
                            Warren the Yamanatic
                            715-962-2188
                            Sure it's gonna make some noise, there's GAS exploding in there!

Comment

Wow, sounds like a great bike. I bought a GPZ550 on E-bay for cheap. And I will probably never part with it. I've also been very lucky on e-bay. I picked up a XS750 rear just a few weeks ago for 25 bucks shipped. I can't imagine restoring or modifying vehicles without ebay. Well actually I can. I used to spend a lot of time roaming junk yards when I was younger. Sad thing is I still have old junk yard parts that never worked out for me. Everything I've bought off E-bay has been the right part and was serviceable.

Anyway congrats Yamanatic!
                              79 XS11 special

Comment

Working...
                              X