Painting on XS1100E, 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting on XS1100E, 1978

I am all done with painting. It really looks nice and smooth. The parts are all over the basement painting area and will be set to cure for a while. Used clear coat 500 degree Duplicolor over Duplicolor maroon-red, and that over etching primer. Did the tank, side covers, Vetter trunk, Vetter side bags and the Vetter left and right front lowers. Will do the Vetter front fairing in the spring as I do not want to take it apart to paint it. I was able to mask the gold lines on the tank and also on the fairings. I have put two light coats and 1 heavier coat of clear 500 degree. Should I do more?

It was a grand experience, patience tested a bit.

Pictures please
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Depending on what you have. If I read right you used duplicolor from a spray can. If thats right and theres more in the can use it up. You can get to much clear coat on but spray cans usually have way less solids and more "thinner" if you will, than if you bought and mixed the paint. That being the case many auto painters put on 3 coats of he high solids stuff so you could easily go with 5-6 coats before ending up with the same thickness. Plus if you decide after it's all cured that it has a little to much orange peel or other blemishes, you'll have enough on to sand it with 2000 grit and polish it out without burning thru...

So my 100 word answer to your question is YES, put 5-6 coats on.
      xs eleven #3 -'78,'79, and now an '80

Comment

Be careful with the combustible fumes and the water heater or furnace! :-o
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

For a final coat, at least on the gas tank, I would use urethane base automotive clear coat. You can apply urethane on top of almost any other paint.

I have never found a clear coat in an aerosol can that will stand up to a gas spill. Automotive clear coat will. It has more hardener in it.

I've messed up several beautiful paint job with gas spills.

Patrick
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
          1969 Yamaha DT1B
          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Working...
          X