Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to restore a 79F to "Collector status"

Hey everybody,

I am not sure how it is in the US, but here in Canada we can get "Collector" plates for 25year plus vehicles if they are stock and in very good shape. That then translates into insurance rates about 75%less than usual highway robbery.
    So, I scored this 79F Standard worth redeeming, with the 2nd gear needing attention, which I'll do Christmas.
    All I need after that to get "Collector status" is the right side muffler, since the one on it is damaged. So if anybody out there dinged up the left side but still has a solitary right side hanging on the garage wall, please let me beseech you to have mercy upon my ailing right side, and sell it to me?????
    I'll take headers as well, if available, but really need only the right side.
    Thanks for any leads, Jurgen
    80 1100SG with 79 engine
    79 1100F being restored
    78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
    Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Hi Jurgenkoppen,
    Good luck with your search for that muffler. Check carefully the restrictions on use of a "collector"bike.
    I prefer to ride my 25 year old bike
    Maxim Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Here in South Dakota, I can get a vintage/classic vehicle plate for my bike. BUT. I also have to get the regular plate. The regular plate must be on the bike, properly mounted, Then the classic plate goes over the top of that. If I would happen to get pulled over and the officer wants to see the regular plate, I must pull the classic plate on the spot.
      Insurance. Classic insurance only allow me to ride the bike in certain weather, and only for X-amount of miles per year.
      I would check all of that out before going that route.
      As far as fixing the bike to perfect condition, I wish I had a muffler for ya.
      Good luck.
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I can get those plates here in Georgia. They say "ANTIQUE HOBBY" on them and there is a picture of an old bike or an antique car. They may be purchased for vehicles under 14,000 lbs and over 25 years old. I still pay the same tax and have no use restrictions. It just tells the folks behind that the clunker in front of them is very old.

It just crossed my mind that I can put those plates on just about everything I have!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

In Colorado there appears to be no collector plate for motorcycles. The stock collector plate requirements are:

Colorado Revised Statute 42-12-101 & 102
          Issued to a passenger or light truck (less than 16,000 pounds empty weight) that is at least twenty-five (25) years old. Registration period is for five (5) years. Taxes and fees collected shall be five (5) times the annual taxes and fees normally collected.

In other words, just like jetmechmarty says, no added benefits, same price, just a custom plate saying the car is 25 years old or older. Don't think there is any insurance benefit, since all registered vehicles have to have state minimum coverages anyway regardless of type of plate.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

FWIW, I told my Insurance provider that I drive a 98 Neon with ABS every day. My other stuff is toys. (I use them regularly) I don't know if they care one way or another about a "HOBBY" tag, or if they even check to see I have one.

On the bikes, I'm sure the tag makes no difference at all to my insurance provider.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

restrictions

Check carefully the restrictions on use of a "collector"bike.
              Yeah, well the restrictions here in BC are that I am not allowed to ride the bike to school or work: I am just allowed to ride it 'for recreation'.
              Well, Since I am working at my home workshop building wood strip kayaks , there is no danger of me driving to work.My rush hour happens between my house and my shop, at the outhouse...
              Plus, even if I do go by bike to the building supply shop to get some glue or fasteners, I could claim it as 'personal glue' if so pressed....
              Yeah, I am not holding my breath on finding a good right side. But heck, there are what, 1500 or so? of xsers out there, and many of you living in the salt free south and like the spagetti headers of the Jardine 4in 1. So the odds are that there is a lonely right side some where, wanting to muffle something, and shine on, on a restored 79F in Canada.......
              80 1100SG with 79 engine
              79 1100F being restored

Comment

On all the 79 XS11's I've had or worked on the header was welded to the muffler.

Anyway I think my parts bike has one good pipe on it. I know for sure one side is damaged but at the moment I don't remember which side it is.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Taxes and fees collected shall be five (5) times the annual taxes and fees normally collected.
                  That is fortunately not the case up here in the snowy north of BC, thank goodness. There had to be be some perks on a motoring level living here in the land of salt and ice, and appearantly the collector rules here is one of them.
                  So, Since for you guys in the US there are no advantages to owning stock mufflers, how about selling them to us Canucks, who then get a less expensive ride on their veterans? Just checking....
                  80 1100SG with 79 engine
                  79 1100F being restored

Comment

Geezer's pipe

Anyway I think my parts bike has one good pipe on it
                    Geezer, I was just reading up on you the other day, concerning regulators. I am so hoping that you will find the pipe is the right side one, ( But I am interested in a left side as well for future restores) .
                    Looking forward to hearing from you and if you have it, I'll buy a regulator for my touring bike (the 79F) from you as well. Since that is then one with the fairing, I expect to use it when cold, and would not mind the option to plug in some heated under wear.
                    Let me know what you dig up, thanks, J
                    80 1100SG with 79 engine
                    79 1100F being restored

Comment

Hi Jurgen,
                      good luck with the muffler search. And as has been said, watch for the exclusions.
                      Here in Saskatchewan all the "antique" plate does is limit the insurance write-off value. Manitoba's system limits the rider to "organized club events" which means every time one takes the bike out one has to phone a friend to say "I am making a rally route proving run out to your place"
                      BTW, I love your kayaks. Mind you, I'd be scared to use one for a coffee table, let alone put one in the water. The canoeing I do in shallow streams studded with rocks is better suited to a Coleman-style plastic hull.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Antique and Collector are not the same

Hey Fredintoon,

Yes, I know there are such rules for "Antique Plates".
                        Fortunately 'Antique plates' and 'Collector Plates' are two different deals.
                        As a collector plate driver I do not have those limitations: I can go when and where I want anytime, just not to work or school.
                        I have been recreating last year to the tune of 7000kms.

My kayaks BTW are tougher than they look. While I would use them in ocean or lake situations , the occasional scratch at the bottom is no big deal and an easy fix with epoxy. besides, at less than 50lb, you can pick the unit up with one hand and carry it into 6"of water....
                        Cheers, J
                        80 1100SG with 79 engine
                        79 1100F being restored

Comment

Working...
                        X