Blown 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basket OK

Hey, yes, the clutch thing was a wild goose chase...
    After taking the clutch off again, examining it, figuring out finally for good how it all works together, I reinstalled it, the way I had it in before.
    And yes, I found a way to turn the inner basket in neutral, but the space and little step at the splines(basket/shaft) remained.
    I just put back the covers, clutch and shifter side, cleaned up real good underneath. Turned the bike back over, handlebars and controls back on, fresh oil in, and gave it a few spins on battery power without plugs, all gears are happily engaging, rear wheel is turning. So it looks hopeful.
    Tomorrow I'll have the mufflers back on and carbs in, and then there will be the moment of truth.
    So far I'd say the gear removal and reinstall was easier than I thought, thanks to all your tech support.
    One more question ,though:
    The engine fins are so full of alu-oxide and old grease&dirt: Is there a slicker way to get them clean, then my scratchy on a stick with WD30 method?
    80 1100SG with 79 engine
    79 1100F being restored
    78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
    Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Comment

Done

Second gear is fixed!!!!
      Now I am just awaiting geezers right side muffler and headers, and the old girl is going to rock on into another spring......
      Thanks again for all the great tips and help.
      80 1100SG with 79 engine
      79 1100F being restored
      78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
      Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Comment

Working...
      X