Painted now won't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted now won't run

Okay I am sure everyone will love this one. My bike was running fine so I decided to take it apart and paint it. Had a twelve pack on a Friday night why not! Figured I'd be cruising by Sunday afternoon. Well now it is Friday and I am sitting here staring at it. I took it down pulled the engine out painted it. Removed points and alt cover painted them guages polished head light which is a pain to put back together and then reassembled. Now it will only run while the starter is turning. the second I let off the button it dies. I know RUNNING ON the starter is a dumb phrase but I swear that is what it seams like it is doing. If I keep feathering the button it stays running. It is acting like as soon as I let go of the button the spark is cutting out. WHY??????????? The only other thing I can think of is when I was painting it I flipped motor upside down with oil in it. Could that have something to do with it. ???? Some one please help. Both my bikes are not running and it is in the 70's today. I took the day off work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bikers are a rare bread... Harely riders come a dime a dozen!!

Well...It's Friday night again... might as well drink another 12 pack. Just so you know... they make 30 packs now days. That makes the cost per beer cheaper!! Your problem has nothing to do w/ the oil. It's a pretty simple problem. The BIG problem is I Can't Remember S. Don't worry, someone w/ a good rememberer will chime in.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

In your semi-inebreated state, did you remember to re-install the ballast resistor? It's that small, thin silver metallic object that is bolted to the frame right above the head. Bike won't run without it.

Comment

HA HA laugh at my expense!!!!!!!!! I bought an 18 pack so If I don't figure out one of these bikes by 1400 I won't be able to ride them..

Comment

DING DING we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks John!!!!!!!! Of coarse I reinstalled it !!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't plug it in though. I would give you my 18 pack if I could............... buuutt since I can't...... guess I will talk to you guys later.........After my ride............. I will drink the 18 pack in Johns honor......... Talk to you all later:

Comment

Gee. And I just thought you painted it wrong.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

NOW HOW ABOUT SOME PICS OF THAT PAINT JOB! oops sorry - didn't realise I was shouting, then again if you're like me aftera few wobbly pops maybe being shouted at isn't a bad thing
              Si Parker
              '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Would love to BUT its already almost back down. I just blew second gear. Any sugg. I think I am going to crack that 18 open now. SH@#. !!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah I was shouting!!

Comment

Too bad - sorry to hear that. Look forward to seeing some when you're done.
                  Si Parker
                  '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Pulled the engine to paint it?

Wait a minute....
                    You pulled the whole engine out to paint it, just so, on a whim?
                    I am about to put an engine into an empty frame and have been gathering information, nerve, and momentum for weeks now to do that job. (Besides needing a couple day time slot in my busy wood shop)
                    If you have found a way to do this job in say, 6 easy steps or so, without breaking your back, I would like to know.....
                    The resistor thing only happens once to us, then we always remember after that.
                    Nice easy fix though,eh? Jurgen
                    80 1100SG with 79 engine
                    79 1100F being restored
                    78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
                    Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Comment

Pull oil filter, remove exhaust, electrical and pull the mounts Don't forget the drive line. Put it on the center stand and you can rotate it as needed. It take about 20-30 min for me but I have a lift in my shop and also strip motorcycles for extra income. Pulling it out what I do is put a tranny jack next to the lift and drop the lift down so they are equal. Have someone grab the front and you grab the rear and out it comes. If you are by yourself and don't want to hurt you back put some blankets and foam on the floor and lay the bike down wedge it out with a pry bar. Pick bike up and motor stay on the floor. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X