generator/alternator output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator/alternator output

i'm not sure weather my 1979 xs1100 SF has a generator or an alternator but, anyway i'm tring to see if i have a few amps. to spare to run my heated socks( I have never been able to keep my feet warm below 50 deg.)
    Stop bitching, just ride!!!

Hey there Keith,

The XS11 uses an ALT, and it doesn't put out much more than what's required to run the bike. Folks have found that IF they add a pair of driving lights, it draws too much current, specifically during low rpm range, but are handled adequately during cruising speeds/rpm's. So...depending on how many amps your heated socks draw will determine whether you can run them all the time, or just once you get on the highway!?

IF you look into the MODS Forum, you'll find a few about LED turn and tail/brake light conversions which can free up several amps for accessories! Hope you can stay warm!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I haven't done an LED conversion yet but perhaps this winter. A few years ago I got stranded with a discharged battery after running driving lights too long. The bike had good headlight and turned over rapidly but apparently the black box wouldn't let the ignition activate.

Check out the first part of this thread for Geezers regulator. Definitely worth the investment.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...gulator+geezer

On my current rig I've got heated grips and run electric clothing and driving lights but have gotten into the habit of switching off when not at highway rpms.

Rob

Comment

Thanks,
        My socks draw 2 amps.
        Stop bitching, just ride!!!

Comment

Second the tips about LED's and Geezers rectifier. Both well worth the time and $
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Thanx guys for the words of support. I make the best product I know how to and hope other people like it too.

BTW, as always, I give free shipping to XS11.com members and to the guys that post on the Yahoo XS11 list.

BTW, for guys that also have brand X bikes, I just released a new reg/rec unit for the early ST1100 Honda (with the 28 amp alternator.)

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
            X