Separation anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation anxiety

I will readily admit she frustrated me. This wicked machine. This taunting temptress. Flashing me. Tantalizing me. Then not firing at idle on number 1 just to frustrate me.

We had to take some time apart. Well, I had to anyway. It's not like I didn't have several bikes to ride (all of which idle). And ride I did. I put more than 6,000 miles on two wheels this summer. It's not like I didn't have several other projects. It's not like....

The b****. She's an evil siren, luring my ego to the rocks.

So Succubus sat while I restored a 1969 Honda CB 750 for my son to ride. Then I kept the '69 and gave him the '75 Honda 750. All the while Succubus sat parked in my garage, watching. I hoped she was lonely. I hoped she was jealous. I hoped she was learning her lesson.

This morning, just for grins, I figured I would hit the starter button so she could make fun of me some more. I hadn't charged the battery since July, so I figured at best she would give me a low moan while she pretended she wanted to start.

Boom. She fired right up. The taunting starts anew.

Gotta put a charge on the battery and go in search of the missing idle. This time she is going to turn into an everyday ride. At least in theory.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Hey Patrick

Good to see you back. Was wondering were you went. Good luck with the bike and keep us posted.

Comment

Patrick,
      Check the wires to the front pick-up coil.....DAMHIK
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

DAMHIK

Calling us country boys names now are we?
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Don't Ask Me How I Know...... I tried to tell Yamaha about a problem early in 1978 when my first XS1100 was dropping #1&4 at idle. That is when I found the crimp that holds the pickup coil wires was too tight, and would break the wires.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

I wish it was the pickup coils, Ray. I kept going back to them the last time. I've soldered and resoldered, replaced, soldered and resoldered the new ones etc.

This time around I am concentrating on the potential of an air leak. It always kicked ass once I got it moving......

Patrick
            The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Try one more time on the wires. Put a VOM on one end, with the "beep"on, and go to the wires and pull from different angles on the front coil. It will be the front coil, and you may find that at idle, when you have the MOST vacuum, is when the wires will just pull to an open. It was HARD for me to find it the first time, and my bike now is giving me problems once again. I think this time it has something to do with the 95K miles on it, as well as at least two "fixes" on the coil wires to the front.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

I think I'm going to approach this like I've never seen the bike before. I know I can find the problem. I am convinced I was blind to it last time because I did something that I was sure was right, so I therefore could not consider it the diagnosis.

I know it will start - much more easily than I expected, in fact. I put in some fresh gas, opened the petcocks and the badly drained battery could manage only one "oomph." But that was enough. It caught. Shocked the hell out of me.

Maybe it healed during the layoff. So tomorrow, after the battery charges, I'll start it and see if it idles on no. 1. If not, I'll pull the plug wire and see if I have fire at idle. If I have fire, I'll start looking at vacuum.

It's winter in Texas - riding season.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus

It's winter in Texas - riding season.

Patrick [/B]
                  Yeah, right. December 7th, 78+. You will hear no complaints from me. Hmmmmm, boats in the drive way, maybe I should go burn the last of the "summer" gas out of it. Darn, almost a full tank, could take better part of a day to burn that much fuel out, unless I go to "burn the carbon out" or do a "plug check". Yea, that it, to much carbon and I hafta check the jetting ( she will never snap its fuel injected!!!!! )

Glad to hear from ya, thought you had given up on the old girl.
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Re: Separation anxiety

Originally posted by Succubus
                    Then not firing at idle on number 1 just to frustrate me.
                    If it was me, I'd be looking for spooge in the wee orifice in the bottom of the float bowl on #1. If it is blocked, that carb will not run at idle, but as soon as you come up past that rpm range, it will come to life as the next stage comes on.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Just a thought... but have you checked the compression on that one cylinder? If it's low, then it could be getting enough when the RPM goes up and letting it fire. Probably not it, but worth a check?

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Just thinking

Yeah, I know, that could be dangerous, but I agree with Ken, probably got something in the bowl idle jet. Really easy to take care of, don't even have to take off the carbs, just take off the bowl and check it.
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

The compression is good, Tod. I'm leaning toward spark. I started a new thread to talk about it. Please see "Let's talk spark."

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Working...
                          X