Need Schematics For 82 XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Schematics For 82 XJ

Need schematics that are easier to read XJ won't turn over.If you have any ideas about what the problem may be,let me know. Thanks alot

Is this a bike thas has ben running and just quit, or has it been sitting for a while and you are tring to bring it back to life?

A common culprit is the side stand switch. It is part of the safety interlock system. Earlier XS models don't have it. If you follow the wires frm the switch, mounted near the side stand, they will go up to a connector just at the rear of the gas tank. No ned to remove the tank to get at the connection. It is a 3-wire plug. You need to unplug the switch and jump all 3 spades together on the bike side connector. I did this with a couple pieces of wire and 1/4 inch slip on terminals.

This assumes the battery is good, fuses are OK (fuse block is another source of problems) and the rest of the wiring is in good shape.

One way to tell if the side stand switch is bad is to keep your finger on the starter button while wiggling the shaft of the switch back and forth. (In and out.) If at some point the starter kicks in, you know the poblem is in the worn switch. FWIW, these are no longer available from Yamaha, and any used one will also be worn.

Also note...earlier XS models used a round starter button. The XJ does not, it uses a rectangular button. You may hear discussions about a replacement starter button....not for us. In any case, another potential problem is corrosion behind the starter button, which only completes a ground circuit to get the starter to operate. Take apart and clean the contacts.

Good Luck!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Have a look at Troubleshooting a bike that won't crank
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Working...