Bike RUNS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike RUNS!

I finally finished my 79 Special. Rode it around for about 40 mi and it runs good. Some small things made themselves obvious, but generally all is well.

Compression pressure seems unusually high at 180-180-178-180. I just did the valve job, so I know there is no carbon in there. The pistons/everything else looked stock .... The bike runs a bit stronger than the last XS11 that I had (81 SH) or maybe it is just my memory. Carbs are a bit lean all around, except for idle, so I'll raise the needles and go one up from 137.5 on the mains. I have an in-box K+N and a MAC 4-into-1

ProTaper dirtbike handlebars seem to be a real nice addition, but I would have to go on longer rides to see how they work out.

Nice surprise was that neither clutch slipped!

thanks all for the help.
    --Nick

You might consider going up at least two sizes. Personally, I have had great success with THIS formula for jetting, not to mention seeing it either linked to or quoted on different sites and forums all over the web.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Denny...a carb god!

Originally posted by 81xsproject
      You might consider going up at least two sizes. Personally, I have had great success with THIS formula for jetting, not to mention seeing it either linked to or quoted on different sites and forums all over the web.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Nick,
        Now that it's running, head over 17 and down 1 to my place, and I can sync the carbs for you! I commute 17 every day on my '79 Standard. I work at 85 and Union.
        Send me a pm if you need any help with the bike.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

81xsproject, thank you for this link. I saw it long ago but forgot all about it.

Looks like soon I'll be ready for and R1 shock upgrade

--Nick

Comment

Working...
          X