Ok,it does work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok,it does work

The only thing I found that I had to play with was the spacing of the brake caliper,but what a difference,I can't wait to take it on a long ride but I could feel it in the =_ 10kms(16 or so miles) tha I took it,I still need a 3mm spacer to center the caliper on the disc,but it was ok for the test run,but it works, so I will now put the time and effort into the frame.

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20conversion/

Loosen the pinch bolt on the right side (As sitting on the bike) that pinches the axle bolt. Adjust your fork in or out and get it centered in the caliper slot, then tighten the pinch bolt back up.

All this only applies to the front brake though.. lol.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Miles...

=_ 10kms(16 or so miles)

I believe that 10 kms is more like 6 miles....
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

rear wheel asm., special

mro

Comment

Re: Miles...

Originally posted by planedick
          =_ 10kms(16 or so miles)

I believe that 10 kms is more like 6 miles....
          I do apologize you are right 6.25 miles, I'm to used to converting the other way,but I've got the spacer in and it's perfect,just going to take another spin later.

Comment

Is that rose on the back of your sissy-bar? Please say yes.
            "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

sorry I've been off line for a few weeks,yes the rose is on my sissy-bar , why do you ask???
              Here's more pics of how my 11 is coming on
              http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/a...100%20rebuild/

Comment

I just like it is all. Couldn't tell if it was part of the bike or not. You make that yourself?
                "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Vas Gibt ? projekt details ....

OldmanProf - Near as I can see from previous album pics your XS11 frame has been lengthened by 120 mm right? Was this cut N weld done for road stability or to get more front end rake, or both?

Is your project bike complete? How does it handle now?

Tucsonians want to know...
                  79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Comment

We do a lot of fancy metalwork for customers so when my boss sees something different he will buy some samples.
                    http://glowinn.co.za/index.htm

The frame was jacked out about 60mm longer than stock more because I needed to get inside to weld with a mig gun,but I don't mind a bit more rake because it's going to be more of a long road bike ,my wife and I are planning to do some nice long rides in the northern cape,through the Kalahari desert,I love those small town places,it doesn't mater where you stop,the hospitality is always excellent.
                    I'll put up more pics as I get on I'm hoping to get the motor in today so I haven't ridden her yet but I don't foresee any probs.
                    Last edited by oldman prof; 01-04-2008, 01:08 AM.

Comment

This might be a better link to our company
                      http://glowinn.co.za/

Comment

some notes on the effect of rake

Oldman Prof -

The quotes below are for information and not to be construed as criticism.

I've been curious as to how a bit more rake could change a motorbike's handling especially at touring speeds.
                        Found these notes about rake on a BMX racer site - the geometric principle appears to be the same on an XS11s.

"The main way your fork affects your bike's handling is through rake. This is easy to understand. A fork with a lot of rake sticks the wheel way out in front, like an "Easy Rider" chopper. A fork with no rake has the wheel directly under the "fork line", like a unicycle fork. The "fork line", by the way, is an imaginary line drawn right down the center of the steerer tube. Rake is measured by looking at the distance between the dropouts and that fork line.

Manufacturers take different routes to create rake... e.g. where the axle is located on the fork legs. " My example: the XS Specials use a leading front axle that sits about 2.5 inches higher than a Standard's axle on the fork tube. This lowers the Specials frame and maintains stock rake angle.

"The way fork rake affects your handling is simple to understand. The more rake you have, the harder it is to turn the bike. Think of a chopper motorcycle and how tough it must be to parallel park it! A fork with a lot of rake feels "floppy" in turns, like it doesn't want to change direction very much."

Conclusion: One can see that for a tourer a longer rake has some comfort & stability benefits as we make short radius turns less frequently.

One of the problems my wife and I encountered on our XS Triple was how cramped we were seated on that bike's shorter wheelbase. The XS11 has a longer wheelbase than the Triple and seems to be more comfortable for two up cruising.
                        I'd like to hear how your rake mod has changed the bike's overall handling on the highway and when riding in town.

I looked at the website page. You may have a good base for doing custom mc framework!

Cape Town looks good for those long road trips and what scenery!

Rob
                        Last edited by TucmanXJ; 01-04-2008, 12:37 PM.
                        79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Comment

Morning Rob,I've pulled other frames straight and I've cut and welded frames to correct them but I must admit this is the first time I've made changes to the standard dimensions on a frame so I don't know how it will handle,if I don't like it...........Well I don't want to think about that right now.there is another available to buy if I f**ked this one up,anyway we got the motor in yesterday evening
                          http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/a...100%20rebuild/

Anthony

Comment

Working...
                          X