Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid frame?

Hey all...

I've seriously contemplated taking my 78 XS11 and swapping out the frame to build a really nice lookin chop. Only problem is that as far as jap chops go, I can really only find ready made frames for honda's and xs650's. Can someone point me in the right direction???

I remember finding a pic of an XS11 built to look like an indian and it looked pretty good. If motor was turned 90 degrees in the frame it coulda passed for an Indain 4-4-2.

Also, will it be difficult to convert the middle drive to handle a chain or belt setup since the drive shaft will be taken out of the picture via the frame swap? I'm thinking not, but then again as we say at my place of employment "make it work."

Anyway, I appreciate any you might have.

hi, xs11 is an easy frame to chop,really good results can be had by modifying the stock frame,why would you want to lose the shaft drive? the only negative on a rigid with a shaft drive is the offset width at the rear,i overcame this by removing an inch from the front of the diff(from the face where the spindle sits) this was done 10 years ago with no ill effects whatsoever. this keeps the frame symetrical when viewed from above,if you want to lengthen the rear end a virago drive shaft is 1 1/2" longer and the same fittings,also a 535 virago or a xj900 diversion rear wheel and diff assembly can be used,for the 15" spoke wheel or 3 spoke 17" wheel,many yam front ends can be sourced to match.if you want longer fork tubes either use "forkin by frank" or use trail bike tubes from same manufacturer as the front end.if you offset the rake you can have wild fork angles and still have stock bike trail and handling characteristics.. if you cannot do this yourself my advice is either find someone to fabricate a frame etc for you,or buy a chop and personalise it to your tastes..hope this helps.
    mick
    xs1.1s(x2)
    gsxr1100(1127)
    gsx1100g(x2)
    trophy900
    bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Mick...

Hey man...

Well, my first reason for wanting to swap frames and go with a chain or belt drive is because in my current state of South Carolina, highway speed limit is 65-70. At that speed my bike is crusing at approx 4100-4200 rpm. Way too high. Ive been wanting to regear it so I could drop maybe a 1000rpm off it and make it a bit more comfy on the interstate...but that would be more money than its worth. Unless you know of a simpler way to do this....I'm all ears.

Secondly, how many chopped xs's do you ever see? I never see any. Since I don't have the cash to buy an american vtwin to enjoy and do with what I want with, Ill have to work with what I have. Besides, don't ya think a chopped XS would be awesome? Think of it. Having the same power from the motor, but in a much less cluttered frame. First rule of hi-performance is lighten the load. Wouldn't you say?

Don't get me wrong. I love my XS. Ive ridden many many miles with it. But Ive always wanted something that was mine. Understand?

Consequently, I saw in the want ads the other day a guy locally who has 3 xs's, two are midnight specials. and one is a parts bike alll for 900 bucks american. If I had the garage space I'd buy them. I unfortunately don't. I live in an apt. complex.

Ah well...I do appreciate your input. Thanks.

Vic

Comment

"Secondly, how many chopped xs's do you ever see?" hi vic,you asked the wrong guy..lol..cant honestly say when i last saw an xs that wasnt chopped,ive seen at least 100 xs1100 chops. in uk they are quite common,i got 2 myself,as for gearing the xs has max torque @ around 4,000rpm so i dont see that as a problem? saying that tho changing your diff (and wheel/tyre) is the easiest way to alter your gear ratio's tho,much easier than a belt or chain
        mick
        xs1.1s(x2)
        gsxr1100(1127)
        gsx1100g(x2)
        trophy900
        bonneville750

Comment

XS11 chops

Vic,

The way I understand it is that it's a pretty different bike culture in the US and Jap bikes are rarely chopped.

Here in Europe, and particularly in the UK there are probably more Jap engined chops than good ol' HD's Micks (Chopper) reply above gives you the picture when he says he has hardly seen a standard XS11. That's pretty much the case in the last 10 - 15 years. In terms of simplicity and construction a lot of shaft drive engines are used, particularly XS11's and GS850's. There are a lot of harleys in the glossy mags too mind you.

Whats possible, practical and how to get started certainly sounds like a job for Mick as I've not chopped anything or owned one - just an admirers of something that someone has created. Like you say Vic -

Ive always wanted something that was mine. Understand?
          I feel that about all the little changes I make to my bike too.

For some ideas / background have a look at:

http://www.backstreetheroes.com/

I notice today that in the gallery section the third picture is an XS11 in a hardtail frame - but a bit of a show-bike maybe rather than a day-to-day ride to work chop.

Good luck with the project
          XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
          Guzzi 850
          Z1000

Comment

Hi all
            There's a rigid frame available under the For Sale section at
            http://www.xs1100.co.uk
            Mike Farnworth
            XS1100 E & XS1100 Sport Project

Comment

that is one ugly frame,i cant understand why people go to all the bother of welding a hardtail on without doing the top tube? its so much nicer when its all done and its just as strong if done right(bracing,sequential welding etc) it limits the choice of tank to a stock one,then all you have is a wasted stock bike...sorry bout the rant but its my pet hate
              mick
              xs1.1s(x2)
              gsxr1100(1127)
              gsx1100g(x2)
              trophy900
              bonneville750

Comment

Working...
              X